Two bodies including soldier’s recovered in Anantnag

Militants fire on CRPF in Srinagar

Excelsior Correspondent

SRINAGAR, Sept 18: The ongoing encounter at Gadool area of Kokernag hamlet of Anantnag district entered the 6th straight day today, with security forces recovering the body of the missing Army personnel and a charred body.
An official said that the body of Army personnel Pradeep, who had been missing alongside Major Ashish last week, was recovered today and is being transported back. This takes the toll in the encounter, including the unidentified charred bodies, to seven.
The Army is using the latest gadgets and weapons against the militants who are trapped in.
The official said that intermittent firing was witnessed throughout the day today and the combining operation in the area is likely to continue.
He said the para-commandos along with additional companies of troops have been deployed in the area. The movement is being monitored closely by helicopters and drones.
Meanwhile, the Cyber Investigation Kashmir (CIK) unit has apprehended an Instagram user for allegedly posting hateful and abusive content against Deputy Superintendent of Police, Humayun Muzammil and other members of the security forces who lost their lives in an ongoing Kokernag operation.
“Upon initial investigation, it was discovered that the detained user, Irfan Malik, had been consistently sharing posts on his social media handles that not only spewed hatred and abuse against the fallen heroes but also glorified terrorism, issued threats against security forces, and resorted to name-calling,” said a spokesman of the CIK.
Irfan Malik, a 43-year-old, working as an operator at JustDial, was identified as the perpetrator. He is the son of Abdul Rashid Malik and resides at 29 Chotta Bazar, Srinagar.
A First Information Report (FIR) has been filed against Irfan Malik under the relevant provisions of the law, with FIR No. 07/2023 registered at the Police Station CID CIK.
The case is currently under investigation, focusing on the charges of misusing social media platforms, issuing threats against security personnel, and promoting terrorism.
Meanwhile, a militant opened fire on a moving security forces’ vehicle in the Khanyar area of  Srinagar this evening but no one was injured.
An official said that the lone militant fired from his pistol on the CRPF vehicle of 144 Battalion at the Khwaja Bazaar Chowk around 7.05 pm.
He said that the militant fled from the spot after firing and there was no death or injury in the incident.
The CCTV footage of the incident shows people running for cover at the time of the incident.
Senior Superintendent of Police Srinagar, Rakesh Balwal said that there was an attempted attack by pistol borne terrorist on BP vehicle of CRPF in Khanyar area which was repelled by alert personnel. “The terrorist was chased away by personnel, who showed wise restraint due to potential collateral damage. No injury to life or property reported,” he wrote on X.