One killed, 45 injured in Srinagar grenade blast

A civilian injured in grenade blast being admitted in a hospital in Srinagar on Monday. —Excelsior/Shakeel
A civilian injured in grenade blast being admitted in a hospital in Srinagar on Monday. —Excelsior/Shakeel

Fayaz Bukhari

SRINAGAR, Nov 4: One person was killed and at least 45 including 10 women and three security force personnel were injured in a grenade blast at Hari Singh High Street near city Centre Lal Chowk today.
A senior police officer told Excelsior that militants threw a grenade at a market place Hari Singh Street in Amira Kadal area of Srinagar in which one person Rinku Singh of Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh was killed and 45 others were injured. The injured included three para-military security force personnel from the SSB.
A eyewitness said that grenade exploded in the Hari Singh High Street near Amira Kadal bridge and one person was in a pool of blood and died on the spot. He was a vendor who was selling toys on the footpath. He has been identified as Rinku Singh of Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
He said that dozens of persons were found lying on the ground in injured condition. The attack created panic in the area with people fleeing to safety. The vendors also immediately fled from the area along with their merchandise.
The injured were immediately rushed to SMHS hospital for treatment. Three SSB personnel were taken to nearby Police Control Room hospital where they are undergoing treatment and three of the civilians were taken to Bone and Joint hospital Srinagar for treatment.
At SMHS hospital there was chaos after 39 people reached there with injuries and one of them was stated to be critical. He has been identified as Fayaz Ahmed.
Some of the other injured have been identified as Suhail Ahmad of Qamarwari, Nazira of Bohri Kadal, Hameeda of Srinagar, Naseera of Srinagar, Bilal Ahmad of Safa Kadal, Varun Preet Singh of Aloocha Bagh, Shifali Kour of Aloocha Bagh, Omar of Hari Singh High Street, Feroz of Lasjin, Fahmeeda of Srinagar, Imran of Shaheed Gunj, Taiba of Srinagar, Maimoona of Srinagar, Abdul Hameed Daga of Srinagar, Mohammad Iqbal Hajam of Srinagar, Mohammad Yaseen of Srinagar, Abid Shagoo of Bemina, Muzaffar Ahmad of Srinagar, Rauf Ahmad of Srinagar, Abdul Hameed of Nawa Kadal, Rizwan of Safa Kadal, Adnan of Srinagar, Shahid of Chadoora Budgam, Danish of Noorbagh, Ajaz Ahmad of Chanpora, Mehrajudin of Baba Demb, Mohammad Yusuf of Noorbagh and Rubeena of Srinagar.
Immediately after the attack, senior police officers reached the spot and area was cordoned off. Security forces were looking for the militants responsible for the attack. However, no one was arrested from the area.
This is the second grenade attack in Hari Singh High Street in last one month. Last month six persons were injured when militants lobbed a grenade in the same area.
This is the second major grenade attack in Kashmir in last two weeks. Last month, 20 persons were injured in the grenade attack in Sopore.