Markets reopen in Kashmir parts; mobile internet restored except Srinagar, Budgam

Srinagar witnesses huge rush of traffic after four days on Monday. -Excelsior/Shakeel
Srinagar witnesses huge rush of traffic after four days on Monday. -Excelsior/Shakeel

Cops release videos of what transpired at Geelani’s home

Fayaz Bukhari
Srinagar, Sept 6: As the curbs were lifted by the authorities, life limped back to normalcy in Kashmir after business establishments reopened in parts of Srinagar and elsewhere.
The authorities in the evening also restored mobile internet services in Kashmir barring Srinagar and Budgam districts.
The public transport plied in Srinagar areas and elsewhere in the Valley after the security forces removed concertina wires today. However, restrictions remained in place in Eidgah area today.
The business establishments including shops and other establishments reopened after four days in Kashmir. The street vendors had also erected their stalls in the commercial hub Lal Chowk and other parts of Srinagar. The business establishments reopened partially in downtown areas.
The mobile internet services that remained suspended since Wednesday night were restored today evening except Srinagar and Budgam districts.
Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kashmir Zone, Vijay Kumar said that the mobile internet will be restored at 7pm in all districts except twin districts of Srinagar and Budgam.
He said that they will take a review about the restoration of mobile internet services in Srinagar and Budgam districts tomorrow afternoon.
The restrictions remained in place after the demise of separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who passed away at his Hyderpora residence on Wednesday evening after prolonged illness.
Meanwhile the Jammu and Kashmir Police today said its officers were made to wait for three hours at separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani’s home when they went there for his burial after his death, and that the family resorted to anti-national activities “probably under pressure from Pakistan and miscreants”.
Refuting rumours allegedly being floated from across the border, the Jammu and Kashmir Police also released four videos through its twitter handle to show that 91-year-old Geelani was laid to rest as per the rituals in the intervening night of September 1 and 2.
“After the death of SAS Geelani, IGP Kashmir Vijay Kumar met both of his sons at their residence at 11pm, condoled them and requested for burial in the night for the larger interest of the general public due to potential major L&O (law and order) situations. Both agreed and asked to wait for two hours until relatives reached,” the police said on its Twitter handle.
The IGP Kashmir personally spoke to a few relatives and assured them of safe passage, it said.
“However, 3 hrs later probably under the pressure from Pakistan and miscreants they behaved differently and started resorting to anti-national activities including wrapping dead body in Pakistani flag, making loud sloganeering in favour of Pakistan and instigating neighbours to come out,” the police said.
It said that after persuasion the relatives brought the body to the graveyard and performed all rituals “with due respect in presence of members of Intizamia Committee and local Imam”.
“The refusal of both his sons to come to the graveyard indicated their loyalty to the Pakistani agenda rather than their love and respect for their departed father,” it added.
The sons had later offered Fathia (prayers offered at the funeral) at 11 AM on September 2.
The J&K police has already filed a case under the stringent UAPA over the draping of Geelani’s body in a Pakistani flag and the alleged raising of anti-national slogans at his home.