Major among 4 Army jawans injured in grenade blast

Excelsior Correspondent

JAMMU, Mar 21: Four Army soldiers including a Major were injured in an accidental grenade blast at village Keri Battal on Pallanwalla-Sunderbani border under the jurisdiction of Jogma police post of Khour police station in Akhnoor tehsil this afternoon.
The Army jawans of Sunderbani Brigade had gone for Range Classification (practice firing etc) at Keri Battal in Jogma area of Pallanwalla in Akhnoor tehsil bordering Sunderbani tehsil of Rajouri district when a grenade exploded accidentally causing injuries to four Army jawans, one of them seriously.
Senior Army officials inspected the spot and shifted injured to hospital.
The injured have been identified as Major A Vardhan, Havaldar Banu Khwas, Havaldar Naik Ram and Havaldar DT Mangu.
Havaldar DT Mangu was airlifted to Military Hospital in Udhampur in view of his critical condition while three other injured Army jawans have been admitted in Military Hospital, Sunderbani. Condition of three injured, who were admitted in Sunderbani including the Army Major was stated to be stable.
Official sources ruled out any sabotage behind the blast but said Army has ordered an inquiry into the incident to ascertain reasons leading to the blast including negligence on part of the Army jawans in handling the explosive device.
Sources said the grenade went off during practice session of the Army soldiers, who had gone to the firing range from Sunderbani. It exploded with a bang during the practice session.
Troops have collected splinters of the explosive device from the spot. Police parties from Khour police station and Jogma police post would reach the spot tomorrow for examination of the site as the area was located at quite a distance from Jogma. Police too described the blast as accidental but said a case could be registered at Khour police station for further investigations, if required.
Forensic experts would also examine splinters of the explosive device and site of the explosion before the splinters were lifted tomorrow.
Sources said the grenade might have exploded due to mishandling during the practice session.