Friday passes off peacefully amid severe curbs

Para-military personnel maintain vigil at a Srinagar road on Friday. -Excelsior/Shakeel
Para-military personnel maintain vigil at a Srinagar road on Friday. -Excelsior/Shakeel

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR Aug 30 : Fresh restrictions were imposed in Srinagar and other parts of the Kashmir valley as a preventive measure in view of Friday congregational prayers which passed off peacefully.
Restrictions under Section 144 of the CrPc were announced on public address system this morning by police in Srinagar. People were asked not to venture outside and barricades were placed.
Entry into Srinagar was severely curtailed, as police and para-military men blocked streets with concertina wire and iron barriers. The vehicles of the people having movement passes were turned back at the barricades. However, some of the people negotiated their way through lanes and by-lanes to reach their destination.
The Friday congregational prayers were offered in mosques located in the interiors of the city and elsewhere in the Valley. No prayers were allowed in major mosques and shrines of the Valley for the fourth consecutive Friday.
The security barricades were strengthened around the Jamia Masjid Srinagar where prayers were not allowed.
The prayers passed off peacefully with no major untoward incident reported from any part of the Valley. However, security forces were heavily deployed around the mosques where the Friday prayers were allowed but the number of people who prayed in these mosques was very less.
In the evening, the restrictions were eased and there was movement of traffic in various parts of the city as people with emergencies were moving around.
And normal life remained disrupted cross the Kashmir valley for the 26th consecutive day, with markets closed and public transport off the roads.
The landline telephony services have resumed in many parts of the Valley including some districts, while mobile telephone services and Internet remained suspended since August 5.