60-year-old man dies due to COVID-19 in Kashmir, death toll rises to 35 in J&K

SRINAGAR: A 60-year-old man from Srinagar died due to COVID-19 at a hospital in this summer capital on Thursday, taking the death toll due to the infection in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir to 35.

With this death, 13 persons have lost their lives due to the infection during the last 10 days and 21 people in 18 days in J&K, where the COVID-19 positive cases have surpassed 2900 mark.

Official sources said a 60-year-old patient, a resident of Noorbagh in Srinagar, tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week at SHMS hospital. “The patient, who was suffering from pleural effusion (build-up of excess fluid between the layers of the pleura outside the lungs), was immediately referred to Chest Disease hospital,” they said.

However, they said the condition of the patient deteriorated and died on Thursday at CD hospital.

Ten districts of Jammu have reported four fatalities while 31 people have lost their lived due to COVID-19 in ten districts of Kashmir.

With this death, Srinagar has become the worst affected district in terms of mortality rate with eight deaths due to the infection followed by Baramulla with seven fatalities. Anantnag stands at number three with five deaths and Kulgam at number four with four fatalities.

An 86-year-old man from north Kashmir district of Baramulla tested positive for COVID-19, five days after he passed away at a health centre in the valley on Wednesday. Five people, including four from Kashmir and one from Jammu, died due to COVID-19 in the UT on Monday.

A 70-year-old man, a resident of Shopian, died due to COVID-19 at SHMS hospital in Srinagar on May 28, when a 55-year-old man, a resident of Khanpora in Baramulla, tested positive for COVID-19 days after he died at SHMS hospital.

Two people, including a 70-year-old man from Anantnag and 55-year-old man from Srinagar, died due to COVID-19 in Kashmir valley on May 27.

On May 26, a 90-year-old man from Kulgam, who tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, died at a hospital in Srinagar.

On May 23, a 55-year-old Anantnag woman, who tested positive for COVID-19, died at a hospital in the summer capital, Srinagar. A 65-year-old woman from Kulgam in Kashmir and 63-year-old man from Jammu tested positive for COVID-19 after their deaths on May 22.

Two elderly women, an 80-year-old from Srinagar and 40-year-old from Budgam, died in separate hospitals due to COVID-19 in the summer capital, Srinagar on May 21. On May 18, three people — including a 65-year-old woman from Kulgam, 75-year-old man and 75-year old woman from Kokernag in Anantnag ? died due to COVID-19 in Chest Disease hospital, Srinagar.

A 29-year-old woman, a resident of Habba Kadal in the city, died at Chest Disease hospital, Srinagar, on May 17. Five doctors, including four of them who treated 29-year-old woman patient, tested positive for COVID-19 in the summer capital, Srinagar on May 18.

An elderly man, who died in a hospital in the summer capital, Srinagar on May 16, tested positive for COVID-19. Another elderly man had died on May 13 in Jammu due to COVID-19.

An elderly man died on May 11 due to Coronavirus in the Kashmir valley. The death of the elderly man had come just days after his son became the youngest victim of the infection in J&K.

J&K recorded first death due to COVID-19 on March 25, when a 65-year-old man from Hyderpora died due to the infection at Chest Disease Hospital. Then, on March 29, a 50-year-old man, a resident of Tangmarg, passed away at CD hospital.

Earlier in April, a 54-year-old Bandipora resident, who tested positive for the infection, died at SMHS hospital. Later on April 8, a 61-year-old woman from Udhampur died at Government Medical College (GMC), Jammu. A 70-year-old patient died on April 17 due to Coronavirus in Kashmir valley. An elderly man, a resident of Baramulla, on April 18 died due to Coronavirus in Kashmir valley. A pregnant woman, who died at a hospital in Anantnag on Saturday, tested positive on April 26. An 80-year-old woman died in a hospital in Srinagar on April 28 due to the infection. (AGENCIES)