Witness levels serious charges against police

Supari killing case takes U-turn

Excelsior Correspondent
JAMMU, May 5: The Supari killing case involving then Superintendent of Kot-Bhalwal Jail, Ch Nagar Singh, Ch Jaggar Singh and others took U-turn with a witness leveling serious allegations against the police officers while recording his statement before the Court of 2nd Additional Sessions Judge, Jammu.
According to the statement of Harmeet Singh, on March 18, 2011 he was taken to safe house where police subjected him to physical torture for about 8-10 days and asked him to appear as police witness otherwise he will be involved in the case and killed in fake encounter.
“Police taught me the statement for about three days and then produced me before Judicial Magistrate where my statement under Section 164-A was recorded under the pressure of police”, Harmeet said in the latest statement, adding that during the police custody he was tortured by several police officers including then DIG and presently IGP Farooq Khan. He denied that he was knowing Nagar Singh and Sunny Baba personally.
According to the police case, Yudhvir Singh, Sumit Chowdhary alias Sunny, Rakesh Giri,  Akram Khan, Jatinder Kumar, Surinder Singh alias Shanti and Suresh Kumar alias Tunda played key role in the conspiracy hatched by Jaggar Singh in order to eliminate Sudhershan Singh Wazir.
Surinder Singh alias Shanti  was assigned the task of arranging weapons while as Suresh Kumar alias Tunda arranged a motor cycle bearing No JKO2P-4050 for accused Akram Khan and Jatinder Kumar by spending Rs 16,500.
On November 17, 2010, Suresh Kumar alias Tunda, Akram Khan and Jatinder Kumar armed with pistols and Desi Katta proceeded towards Deva Palace at Preet Nagar where Sudershan Singh Wazir had to attend a marriage function of one Jasbir Singh. However, the accused were identified by Jasbir Singh and others following which they fled away.
Thereafter, Surinder Singh alias Shanti took back the weapons. Tunda, Akram and Jatinder and handed over the same to Rakesh Giri, Yudhvir Singh and Sumit Chowdhary. On November 20, 2010, these accused persons again attempted to eliminate Sudershan Singh Wazir at City Palace, Bye-Pass but failed to succeed because of presence of SHO Police Station R S Pura, Gurmeet Singh at City Palace.
On November 21, 2010, SHO Police Station Miran Sahib received an information that accused had assembled in the Dak Bunglow at Maralian. He immediately swung into action but on seeing the police movement, accused fled towards Jammu.
The accused were chased near Satyam Resort but they started firing on the police party. Police also retaliated effectively and in the exchange of fire Rakesh Giri and Yudhvir Singh sustained bullet injuries on their legs. However, accused Sumit Chowdhary alias Sunny Baba succeeded in fleeing from the spot. Rakesh Giri, later, succumbed to injuries.
From the custody of Rakesh Giri, police recovered a pistol with four alive rounds. Moreover, one Desi Katta and four rounds were recovered from the custody of accused Yudhvir Singh alias Babloo. During further investigation, police recovered eight emptied cartridges of AK-47, two emptied cartridges of pistol 9MM and two emptied cartridges of pistol 7.65.
The Investigating Officer also seized one AK-47 along with magazine containing 22 live rounds, which were produced by Constable Amrik Singh. Two mobile phones belonging to accused Rakesh Giri and Yudhvir Singh were also seized.