Soldier killed, Major injured in Uri

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, June 1: A soldier was killed and an Army Major was injured after they slipped off a mountain and fell down into a deep gorge in Uri sector of North Kashmir’s Baramulla district today during an operation launched against militants while militants made a bid to blow the house of a legislator in South Kashmir.
Sources said that the incident occurred, when Army’s 62 RR had launched a search operation today following suspicious movement in Maidan area of Uri near the LoC.
The duo suffered grievous injuries after they slipped and fell down from a mountain at Maidan area in Uri into a deep gorge.
The injured, identified as Major Amit Kumar and Sepoy Raman Kumar of 62 RR, were taken to nearby Military hospital immediately where Sepoy succumbed to injuries.
Militants today made a bid to blow the house of Member Legislative Assembly Tral Constituency in Tral town of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
Militants fired a grenade towards the residential house of MLA Tral, Mushtaq Ahmad Shah today. They used a UBGL (Under Barrel Grenade Launcher) to fire the grenade.
The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) legislator was not at his residence at the time of attack. However, there was no report of any loss of life or the property.

Click here to Watch Video
Six persons including 5 security forces personnel were injured in a grenade attack on a CRPF vehicle at Khanabal area of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district today.
Militants lobbed a grenade on the CRPF vehicle at Khanabal resulting in injuries to four CRPF men, one police man and a pedestrian.
All the injured were rushed to nearby hospital for treatment. Security forces sealed the area and conducted searches but militants had fled away.
The pedestrian has been identified as Abdul Rasheed of Amlar, Tral and the CRPF personnel as Ravinder Singh, Veer Singh, Vinod Kumar and Mohammad Siraj and Jammu and Kashmir Police Head Constable Abdul Majeed.
Militants this morning fired upon vehicle of CRPF 183 battalion at Eidgah crossing in Pulwama town. However, no loss of life or injury has been reported in this incident. The area was immediately cordoned off but militants had fled.
In the meantime, two youth were injured after a CRPF vehicle ran over them during a clash in Old City of Srinagar district today.
A group of youth resorted to stone-pelting on security forces after Friday prayers in Nowhatta area. Police used teargas and pellets against stone-throwers during which some youth suffered minor injuries.
Later, as the stone pelting clashes turned violent, a CRPF Bullet Proof vehicle of 128 battalion ran over the two youth identified as Mohammad Younis of Dalgate and Kaiser Ahmad of Fatehkadal.
The duo suffered critical injuries in the incident and were immediately taken to JLNM hospital Rainawari where from both of them were referred to SKIMS Soura. Police have registered a case.
Militants hurled grenade on a CRPF bunker at Badshah flats in Hari Singh High Street area of Srinagar this evening. The grenade exploded on the road without causing any damage.
Meanwhile, there were no restrictions in any part of Old City today and the Jamia Masjid was open for public.