Porter killed in Pak firing; cop, civilian injured in militant attack

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, Apr 16: An Army porter was killed today in shelling along the Line of Control (LoC) in Uri sector of North Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
Khursheed Ahmad, 37, son of Mohammad Shareif of Nawa Runda who was working as a porter with Army 4 Madras unit, received a bullet injury in the neck near Chaukas in Pakistani troop firing.
Sources said that Army Engineers were repairing LoC fence when he was shot at from across. He died on the spot.
A Special Police Officer (SPO) and a youth were injured after militants opened fire at Bungam area of South Kashmir’s Shopian district today.
Militants fired upon the SPO Bilal Ahmad at Bungam at around 4:22 pm. He was critically injured in the firing and was removed to District hospital Shopian for treatment. He was shifted to Srinagar for treatment.
Click here to watch video
One of the bullets also hit a pedestrian identified as Rafiaq Ahmad Lone son of Bashir Ahmad Lone of Vehil, Shopian. He was also shifted to the nearby hospital from where he was referred to Srinagar in critical conditions.
Soon after the attack, the security forces reached the spot and cordoned off the entire area. However, militants had fled after carrying out the attack.
Bilal, a resident of Babapora Zainapora village is said to be security guard of the former district president of National Conference Shopian, Shabir Ahmad Kulley and is presently posted in District Police Lines Shopian.
A police spokesman said: “Today afternoon terrorists opened fire in Shopian which resulted in the injuries to a civilian identified as Rafiq Lone and a policeman identified as Bilal Ahmad. They have been evacuated to hospital for treatment.”
“A case in this regard has been registered and investigations taken up. Preliminary investigation revealed the involvement of outlawed HM outfit in this attack”, Police added.
In the meantime, an Army officer was critically injured today after his service rifle went off accidentally in Kandi forest area of North Kashmir’s Kupwara district.
Captain VK Sahu of 47 RR posted at Keegam received bullet injury in the incident while he was performing his duty at Kandi. The seriously injured trooper was immediately shifted to Drugmulla military hospital for treatment.
And a soldier, posted in Jharkhand, who had gone missing from South Kashmir earlier this month has joined the Hizbul Mujahideen militant group.
Idrees Mir, who was posted in the Army’s Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry (JAKLI) unit, joined the group yesterday.
Mir had gone missing from Shopian and he joined the group along with two locals who had also been missing.