2 top JeM commanders killed in Pulwama

Security personnel in action during an encounter at village Rajpora in Pulwama on Wednesday. (Inset) DGP Dilbag Singh. -Excelsior/Younis Khaliq
Security personnel in action during an encounter at village Rajpora in Pulwama on Wednesday. (Inset) DGP Dilbag Singh. -Excelsior/Younis Khaliq

Pak desperate to disturb peace in Kashmir: DGP

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, Dec 1: Two top commanders of Jaish-e Mohammad including an IED expert were killed in an encounter in Rajpora village of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district today.
A joint team of police, Army’s 44 RR and CRPF launched a cordon and search operation on a specific information about the presence of militants in the Qasbayar area early today.
As the presence of militants got ascertained, efforts were made to evacuate the civilians in the area and a message of surrender was passed to the hiding militants, which they rejected leading to a gun battle.
Two militants identified as Yasir Parray, a resident of Qasbayar and Furqan, a foreign militant were killed.
Inspector General of police Kashmir, Vijay Kumar said that militant commander of JeM Yasir Parray was an IED expert and his foreign associate Furqan was also killed. He said that both militants were involved in several cases and their killing is big success to forces.
Director General of Police Dilbag Singh while speaking to reporters in Pulwama said that it was a clean operation in which two top militant commanders were killed who were active since long time in the area and were involved in several cases.
He said that Yasir Parray was an IED expert who was involved in an IED attack in district in which two soldiers were killed and many injured besides that Furqan who had infiltrated via Gurez was also involved in many militancy related cases.
Both were working together since long and around one dozen FIRs are registered against the duo, he said. “The two militants were killed in a very clean operation,” he said.
He said lot of efforts were made to project the TRF as a new and big militant organisation, but “all propaganda was foiled and countered by security agencies.”
“Under a well-conceived plan, TRF was projected in a way that as if locals are running this militant organisation. In the past one month, we launched massive operations against TRF and those who were promoting TRF were dealt with and their efforts were foiled,” he said.
“People who become their targets will heave a sigh of relief today as they used to hurt people on different fronts. The operation was carried out successfully by police and security forces and there was no collateral damage. The way the public has behaved, they deserve to be lauded for that”, he said.
He said that people in South Kashmir are cooperative and there is no law and order problem in these areas. “The agencies in Pakistan and their stooges here are trying to radicalize the youth. However, there have been instances where youth have been brought back from the path of terror, and who are now leading a normal life”, he added.
“The number of active militants in South Kashmir has come down and I am hopeful that in the coming time, the number will dip further”, he said.
“Pak is desperate to disturb the peace and, in that connection, attempts were made to disrupt the atmosphere in Rajouri-Poonch, Bandipora, Kupwara and Baramulla. The forces have been foiling all such attempts. However, there have been successful infiltrations carried out and that is why you see the presence of foreign militants”, he said.
A police spokesman said Abu Furkan was active in Kashmir valley since 2018 figuring among the list of top 60 militants and used to operate in Pulwama and Pakharpora area of Budgam. “Furqan along with Yasir Parray were the main conspirators of Avandgund Rajpora VB-IED in which 50 Kg IED laden Santro car was recovered and defused by Police and security forces. They were also involved in killing of a civilian Azad Ahmad Dar resident of Kangan Pulwama,” the statement said.
The Defence spokesman in Srinagar Colonel Emron Musavi said two AK 47s, two pistols and other warlike stores were recovered from the encounter site.
Meanwhile, traffic policeman was injured this evening in a militant attack in Rajouri Kadal area of Srinagar.
Militants fired upon traffic cop, Muhammad Abdullah in Rajouri Kadal when he was performing his duty in the evening. He was rushed to SMHS hospital here where he is undergoing treatment.
The injured has received three bullets in his arm and cheek. Security forces have cordoned off the area against the militants.