2 militants killed in Handwara

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, May 31: Two militants were killed in an overnight gunfight at Kralgund area of Handwara in North Kashmir’s Kupwara district while a bid to snatch rifle from a Central Reserve Police Force personnel was foiled in Kulgam today.
Militants opened fire on patrolling party of Army’s 32 RR last night in forest area of Qaziabad in Kralgund. The Army retaliated the fire leading to an encounter.
The exchange of gunfire continued for some time and the operation was later suspended due to darkness. However, more troops were rushed to the area for conducting operation against the militant group.
Click here to watch video 
Army this morning recovered bodies of the two militants along with two AK 47 rifles and other war like stores during the search operation in the area.
The identities and the group affiliation of the slain militants is being ascertained. However, both the militants are foreigners and have recently infiltrated.
Sources said that it was a group of at least 5-6 militants who attacked the patrol party. A massive search operation has been launched against the rest of the members of the group.
Meanwhile, the two militants were buried at Reshiwari which is close to the forests in Wader area of Rajwar by members of local Auqaf committee today late in the afternoon. The bodies were handed over to the locals by police after completing medico-legal formalities.
Security forces are receiving frequent inputs about presence of militants in the forest area in Handwara as these militants after infiltration from Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) are still in the North Kashmir forests. They are waiting for the militants who will provide them logistics for going to hinterland. However, security forces are keeping a close watch on the exit points of the forests where from they can go to other areas of the Valley.
And a CRPF man was injured today after unknown persons attacked him with an axe at DC Office Kulgam in South Kashmir.
Police said that some persons attacked the CRPF man with an axe with an intention to snatch his service rifle.
However, the paramilitary man resisted and foiled their attempt.
He was removed to hospital for treatment. Police have registered a case and are investigating the matter.