2 JeM militants killed

Security forces during encounter in Warpora, Sopore on Friday.
Security forces during encounter in Warpora, Sopore on Friday.

Excelsior Correspondent
Srinagar, Feb 22: Two militants of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) were killed in a fierce gun battle with security forces in Warpora area of Sopore in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district today.
Security forces including 22 Rashtriya Rifles (RR), Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) yesterday cordoned off village Warpora after they received inputs about presence of a group of militants in the village.
As the searches were going on, the search party was fired upon by the militants and the troops fired back leading to a gunfight. The operation was put on hold last night and the security forces tightened the cordon so that the militants may not flee.
In the morning, security forces evacuated civilians from the area and then launched assault on the hiding militants. One militant was killed in the encounter in the morning and the gun battle continued for several hours.
Click here to watch video
In the evening the troops blew up the house completely in which second militant was killed. They left the spot after there was no firing from the house.
The troops left without recovering the bodies and later only body parts were found in the debris. Their identities and affiliations are being ascertained. There was one arm and some organs of the militants which were found by the locals.
The SSP Sopore, Javid Iqbal said that a police team rushed to the spot as soon as the information was received in this regard. He said that the militants were not identified as the bodies were beyond recognition. He said that they are trying to ascertain their identities and so far no family has come forward to claim them.
Incriminating material including arms and ammunition was recovered from the site of encounter. Police has registered a case and initiated investigation in the matter, police said.
Sources said that the two militants are believed to be of JeM.
Meanwhile, police urged locals not to venture inside encounter zone since such an area can prove dangerous due to stray explosive materials. “People are requested to cooperate with police till the area is completely sanitized and cleared of all the explosive materials if any,” police said.
Authorities had also snapped mobile internet services in Sopore since Thursday evening.
Meanwhile, clashes also broke out between youth and security forces near encounter site during which security forces fired tear gas to disperse protesters.