HELSINGBORG (Sweden), May 22:
NATO allies and defence officials expressed bewilderment on Friday at US President Donald Trump’s announcement that he would send 5,000 US troops to Poland just weeks after he ordered the same number of forces pulled out of Europe.
The apparent change of mind came after weeks of statements from Trump and his administration about reducing – not increasing – the American military footprint in Europe.
Trump’s initial order set off a flurry of action among military commanders and left allies already doubtful about America’s commitment to Europe’s security to ponder what forces they might have to backfill on NATO’s eastern flank with Russia and Ukraine.
Earlier this month, the Trump administration said it was reducing levels in Europe by about 5,000 troops, and US officials confirmed about 4,000 service members were no longer deploying to Poland. The dispatch to Germany of US personnel trained to fire long-range missiles was also halted.
But in a post on Truth Social on Thursday, Trump said he would send “an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” citing his strong ties with Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom Trump endorsed in elections last year.
“It is confusing indeed, and not always easy to navigate,” Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard told reporters at a meeting Friday that she was hosting of her NATO counterparts, including U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Ministers from the Netherlands and Norway were sanguine about Trump’s latest move, as was Latvian Foreign Minister Baiba Braze, who said allies knew the US troop “posture was being reconsidered, and now there is no change of posture. For now.”
US defence officials also expressed confusion. “We just spent the better part of two weeks reacting to the first announcement. We don’t know what this means either,” said one of two officials who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military matters.
But Rubio played down the issue. He said that “the United States continues to have global commitments that it needs to meet in terms of our force deployment, and that constantly requires us to reexamine where we put troops”.
Trump’s vow to withdraw US forces came after Merz criticised the US. (PTI)
