Truck driver killed in stone pelting

Boys play cricket on a deserted street at downtown Srinagar on Sunday. —Excelsior/Shakeel
Boys play cricket on a deserted street at downtown Srinagar on Sunday. —Excelsior/Shakeel

Curbs eased across Kashmir
Excelsior Correspondent/PTI
SRINAGAR, Aug 25: In a freak stone-pelting incident, protesters today evening hurled stones at a civilian truck in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district, killing the driver, police said.
Noor Mohammed Dar, 42, who belonged to the same Zradipora Uranhall locality, was returning home when protesters mistook his truck for a security force vehicle and hurled stones at it. The driver, who was hit on the head, was shifted to a hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead, they said.
Police said protesters have been hurling stones even at civilians and earlier this month, they injured an 11-year-old girl in the eye at downtown of Srinagar city.
Director General of Jammu and Kashmir Police Dilbag Singh has directed officials to catch the culprits and ensure that stern action is taken against them, police added.
Meanwhile, restrictions continued to be eased in Srinagar and other major towns of Kashmir today. However, security barricades continued the Valley with police and para-military troops manning them and allowing restricted movement of vehicles.
The troops continued to be deployed heavily at the sensitive places in Srinagar and other major towns of the State. All the entry and exit routes to Srinagar and other major towns are heavily barricaded and troops are conducting searches of the vehicles and seeking identity of the people who enter the city and major towns.
The major parts of the city were deserted with troops manning the streets. The shops remained closed across Srinagar and public transport was off the roads. However, some private cars and two wheelers were plying in Civil Line areas. In the evening shops selling essential commodities were open and people were seen buying essentials.
People mostly stayed indoors and children in certain areas in by-lanes were seen playing cricket and at places carom. There was uneasy calm in the entire Srinagar. There were minor incidents of stone pelting incidents in parts of Kashmir.
Police in some areas of the city released youth who were picked up by the security forces in recent crackdown. They were released after they were asked by police to furnish bonds that they will not indulge in any activity that breaches peace. The bonds were also taken from 10 respectables of the area that they will guarantee the future behaviour of youth.