Sunderbani hospital staff calls off strike, police lodges FIR

Excelsior Correspondent

RAJOURI, Aug 18: The doctors and other staff of Govt Sub District Hospital, Sunderbani  today called off their strike  and  resumed duty at 2 pm after the local administration assured action and police lodged an open FIR against the attendants of a lady patient, who had thrashed some medical staff and also ransacked furniture and equipment during Friday morning.
The trouble in Sunderbani hospital started on early hours of Friday after a young woman hailing from Pouni, allegedly died due to the negligence of  Medical staff on the intervening night of Thursday and Friday. The relatives of the woman said that their patient Santosh Devi,  kept writhing in pain in the Emergency unit of Hospital Sunderbani hospital for about 40 minutes and  no doctor or staff attended the patient. Ultimately she died.  The angry attendants went violent  and allegedly  thrashed some staff members and also caused damage to Hospital property.
The Hospital staff observed complete strike on Friday and hospital functioning was badly hit for two days. They , however, exempted emergency from the strike. The Medical staff was demanding registration of FIR against the accused persons  and  security in the hospital.
Today, on the assurance of the ADC  and Addl SP Nowshera,  the staff lifted dharna at around 2 pm and resumed work. The police also registered an open FIR   against the accused persons. They  assured to deploy two policemen at hospital for the security of the staff there.
It is pertinent to mention here that  one Santosh Devi, wife of Kehar Singh, resident of Siya village in Pouni, was brought to Sub District Hospital, Sunderbani at around 12.15 pm on Friday. She died  after some time in the hospital. The family alleged negligence on the part of doctors and staff and demanded action against them.  The attendants of the young woman went violent after her death. There was strong tiff  between staff and relatives.  The relatives of the woman, allegedly thrashed some staff and also ransacked  furniture and other  equipment.
Director Health Services, Jammu Dr Gurjeet Singh when contacted and sought comments regarding negligence of Medical staff at Sunderbani hospital, claimed that he has directed CMO Rajouri to hold inquiry and submit detailed report within three days. He claimed that action in this regard will be taken only after he receives inquiry report from CMO. However, no action has been taken even after two days against State Health authorities against hospital staff.