Strike disrupts life in Kashmir

Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar, July 8: The strike in Kashmir and restrictions in parts of the Valley disrupted life here on second anniversary of militant commander Burhan  Wani today while an encounter was on in Handwara area of Kupwara district this evening.
Separatists had called for shutdown and Click here to watch video Tral march on the occasion of second death anniversary of top slain Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani and against the killing of three civilians in Army firing in Qoimoh area of Kulgam district.
Authorities imposed restrictions in seven police stations of Srinagar city and several other parts of Kashmir valley to prevent protests and rallies on Burhan’s death anniversary.
Despite restrictions, students took out a protest rally in the premises of Kashmir University. The mobile services snapped on Saturday evening continued to remain suspended today and the train services in Valley also didn’t resume for the second consecutive day today.
The examinations scheduled to be held by the Universities and several examining bodies were already postponed.
The traffic was off the roads, the shops and business establishments were shut all over Valley. The roads and streets wore a deserted look as people preferred to stay indoors.
The situation across Kashmir remained by and large peaceful as no untoward incident was reported from anywhere in Valley.
Security forces today prevented youth from marching towards the residence of Burhan Wani on his second death anniversary. Scores of youth tried to defy curfew in Arigam and march towards the residence of Wani in Shariefabad. However, security forces deployed in strength in the area chased them away.
And this evening militants and security forces exchanged fire in frontier district of Kupwara in North Kashmir.
Police and 47 RR of Army launched an operation in Khanpora forest area of Magam in Handwara area of Kupwara district this evening. Militants fired at the search party of the security forces leading to a gun battle. However, no reports of casualties were reported so far.
Security forces today defused an Improvised Explosive Device found in a bucket in Pulwama district.
The IED was found on Pulwama-Sirnoo road in the south Kashmir district and a Bomb Disposal Squad defused it.
Policemen guarding the residence of Congress leader Peerzada Mohammad Sayeed fired few warning shots after protesters pelted stones at them in Kokernag area of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district today.
Scores of youth assembled in Damhal Khashipora village and pelted stones at the residence of Sayeed. The cops guarding the residence fired few warning shots to chase away the protesters.
In a similar incident, stones were pelted at the house of former National Conference leader Abdul Rasheed in Bulbul Bagh in Nowgam village of the district.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here