Protester succumbs; cafeteria, schools set ablaze

Para-military and police personnel patrol Civil Lines area of Srinagar on Thursday. —Excelsior/ Shakeel
Para-military and police personnel patrol Civil Lines area of Srinagar on Thursday. —Excelsior/ Shakeel

Excelsior Correspondent
Srinagar, Sept 15: A youth who was injured last week in security forces firing on protesters in Kulgam district of South Kashmir today succumbed at SKIMS in Soura taking the death toll in the ongoing unrest to 82.
Rasik Ahmed Bhat, 23, son of Muhammad Yousuf Bhat of Nowpora, Kulgam was hit by bullet in his head during clashes with security forces on September 5. The doctors declared him dead at 4 pm today.
The protests broke out at Nowpora in Kulgam soon after the body of Bhat reached there. Large number of people took to streets and held a protest demonstration.
Elsewhere, curfew and curfew like restrictions in parts of Srinagar and other major towns and shutdown paralysed life in Kashmir during which protests were reported at few places.
The shops and commercial establishments, petrol pumps, school and colleges remained closed and traffic was off the roads and train services between Banihal and Baramulla also remained suspended for 69th day today. However, there was some movement of private cars in Civil Lines area of Srinagar city.
The BSNL broadband, internet and mobile phone services across Kashmir valley remained shut. Postpaid mobile phones of BSNL are working, but outgoing call facility on pre-paid phones continued to remain suspended. The broadband services have been snapped for the second time since July 9, a day after the killing of Hizb commander Burhan Wani.
A police spokesman said here that curfew was lifted from all parts of the Valley today even as restrictions continued in some parts of the Valley.
“Restrictions under Section 144/CrPC remained imposed in some parts of the Valley”, said a spokesman.
“Apart from a few stray incidents of stone pelting, the situation remained normal and under control throughout the Valley till filing of this report,” he said.
“Last evening some miscreants set ablaze, Zaiqa Cafeteria, of Tourism department at Awantipora. The building suffered damages in this incident. Fire was brought under control by fire tenders”, the spokesman said.
He said miscreants set ablaze Government Middle School at Kanjikullah, Yaripora during the intervening night of September 13 and 14. “The school building suffered damages in the incident,” he said.
In the meantime, separatists today issued fresh protest and strike calendar till September 22.