Police to act against organizers of funeral

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, Feb 27:  A top commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), who was injured in a gunfight with security forces at Hajin yesterday, succumbed to injuries.
Abu Haris, the militant commander was buried in Hajin and a large number of people attended his funeral. This is for the first time in recent past that a foreign militant has been buried by the locals.
The authorities had barred people from burying the foreign militants after a huge funeral was witnessed to Abu Qasim, Lashkar-e-Toiba commander who was killed in a gunfight with security forces in 2015.
Police said that the militant had escaped with the help of his accomplices after an encounter with a joint team of police, Army and CRPF yesterday.
Police could not take the body in order to avoid any breach of law and order situation in the area. Police said they are mulling action against those who gave him shelter.
Police said a case has been registered and those behind will be identified and action as per law will be taken against them.
“On specific input, yesterday security forces cordoned off Bon Mohalla at Hajan. While the cordon was being laid, there was an exchange of fire,” a police spokesman said.
“Though in the search operation nobody was recovered consequently it was learnt that one militant of LeT was injured in the encounter”, police said.
On Tuesday morning, the spokesman said, police came to know about the death of the militant. “Since the body was already in the village request was made to the villagers to hand over the body to police. Meanwhile, the body was buried amidst a procession led by some miscreants. Necessary legal action has been initiated against the people who led the protest and instigated public,” the spokesman added.
It may be mentioned here that in order to prevent glamorizing of militants, Police is mulling to stop large and multiple funerals of militants. They will take the administration of local Masjids into confidence to prevent huge funerals of the militants.