PHE Contractors defer protest after assurance on pending JJM payments

Leaders of J&K PHE Contractors Coordination Commitee addressing press conference at Jammu on Friday. -Excelsior/Rakesh
Leaders of J&K PHE Contractors Coordination Commitee addressing press conference at Jammu on Friday. -Excelsior/Rakesh

Excelsior Correspondent
JAMMU, May 22: The Jammu and Kashmir PHE Contractors Coordination Committee has expressed serious concern over the continued delay in release of funds and pending payments under the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) schemes across Jammu and Kashmir, stating that contractors have been facing severe financial hardship due to non-clearance of dues for nearly two years.

Click here to watch video
Addressing a press conference, Rajesh Kumar, President of the Jammu Province unit of the Association, said that although the Government of India has extended JJM 2.0 till March 2028 with sufficient fund allocation, the mandatory Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) required for release of funds has not been signed by the Jammu and Kashmir Government for the past three months.
Kumar informed that the contractors from across Jammu and Kashmir had been holding a peaceful protest for the last 12 days at the Chief Engineer’s office in Rajbagh, Srinagar, seeking immediate intervention of the Government. Several delegations from political parties, civil society groups, trade bodies and social organisations visited the protest site during the agitation and extended support to the contractors’ demands.
Rajesh Kumar further stated that a delegation led by Hazratbal MLA Salman Ali Sagar visited the protest site on the advice of National Conference president Dr Farooq Abdullah and assured the contractors that the issues related to signing of the pending MoU and release of payments would be taken up with the Government on priority.
“Following the assurances, the Coordination Committee has decided to defer the ongoing protest for a short period,” he said and warned that if practical steps are not taken within the promised timeframe, the protest would be resumed with greater intensity.
The Association also announced that a working committee of contractors, under the leadership of MLA Salman Ali Sagar, would formally present the matter before the Jammu and Kashmir Government in accordance with the resolution passed during the meeting.
Appealing to the Government for immediate action, Rajesh Kumar urged the authorities to sign the pending MoU without further delay and ensure early release of long-pending payments on humanitarian grounds to save thousands of affected families from further distress.
The press conference was also attended by Nazir Ahmad Mir, President of the Kashmir Province unit of the J&K PHE Contractors Coordination Committee.