Petrol bomb attack on houses of 2 candidates

Excelsior Correspondent
Srinagar, Oct 3: Two candidates who are contesting Municipal elections for Srinagar Municipal Corporation (SMC) from old city were targeted by unknown persons with petrol bombs.
Click here to watch video
Unknown persons this evening hurled a petrol bomb on the house of a Bhartiya Janta Party candidate,
The door of the house of Shoukat Raja of Gojwara area of old city caught fire due to the attack but the fire was immediately extinguished. Raja was not present at his home at the time of incident. Police immediately reached the spot and have started investigation.
Unknown persons this evening targeted car of an independent candidate Nisar Chudisaz at Kaka Mohalla in Rainawari area of Srinagar. The car was parked outside his house and its tyres caught fire. The fire was, however, put off. Nisar was not at home at the time of the incident. Police reached the spot and started investigation.
Meanwhile, security forces today arrested a militant during a naka checking in Sopore area of North Kashmir’s Baramulla district who had recently threatened people and asked them to stay away from polls. Police also arrested a man in Budgam for torching Panchayat Ghar today while a shopkeeper was abducted from Sopore area of North Kashmir.
Acting on a reliable input, security forces including 32 RR of army, 92 battalion of CRPF and Sopore Police today arrested one local militant Amir Sultan War son of Mohammad Sultan War of Naidkhai Sumbal in Bandipora district during a naka checking at Baramulla-Handwara road near Hadipora crossing.
One grenade was recovered from his possession at the time of his arrest. Security forces later interrogated him and on the basis of information provided by him they recovered one AK-47 rifle, one Magazine and 22 rounds of ammunition.
The spokesman said the militant had recently joined the LeT outfit. “And a video showing him with a weapon had gone viral in which he was seen giving threat to the people of North Kashmir not to participate in the forthcoming Local Bodies and Panchayat elections”, the spokesman said.
He said a case has been registered in police station Dangiwacha. “Investigation has been started,” he added.
Militants in North Kashmir’s Sopore area abducted a shopkeeper today. The masked gunmen barged into the shop of Tawseef Ahmad Ganie at Younisa in Sopore this afternoon and abducted him. Ganie is a butcher and had recently uploaded a video on social media sites in which he had criticized Hizbul Mujahideen Commander, Reyaz Naikoo, for threatening the SPOs.
In the video, Ganie spoke about the threatening of SPOs by Naiku. He had said in the video that threatening and killing of SPOs is unjustified and blamed Naikoo of killing Kashmiri youth in the past. “Allah will not forgive you (Naikoo)”, he had said in the video. However, no militant organization claimed responsibility for his abduction.
Police today arrested one Muzaffar Ahmad Wani from Daulatpora village in district Budgam for torching a Panchayat Ghar in nearby Kultrech village last month. Police recovered 3 AK magazines, pouch and the clothes that he was wearing during the torching of the Panchayat Ghar.
A case (bearing FIR 131/2018 under section 7/25 and section 436) has been registered against him in Police Station Chadoora for torching of Panchayat Ghar and possessing arms and ammunition.
A Police spokesman said: “Continuing with its investigation of a sensitive case registered at Budgam, search warrant was obtained from a competent court and accordingly a house was searched in Daulatpora village in District Budgam. Incriminating material including 3 magazines of AK 47, one pouch and other articles recovered during the search have been duly processed for judicial endorsement. Investigation of the case is under progress”.
In the meantime, clashes erupted in Lal Chowk area of Anantnag in South Kashmir today after the security forces launched a cordon-and-search-operation (CASO) in the area following inputs about presence of militants hiding in a house.
Youth took to streets and clashed with the security forces soon after the operation in the area was launched. The security forces fired tear gas and dispersed the protesters. The operation was later called off.
Sources said that four militant who were hiding in the area were planning an attack in the town but fled as the security forces were cordoning off the area.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here