LeT beheads man; militant killed, another arrested

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, Apr 6: A militant was killed in an encounter and another was arrested during search operations by security forces today while militants beheaded an abducted man in Kashmir valley. The normal life in the Valley remained disrupted today due to strike called by separatists during which 30 persons including SHO were injured in clashes.
A militant was killed in an encounter at Kangan in South Kashmir district of Pulwama today. Army’s 55 RR and police spotted a group of militants in an orchard in Kangan village of Pulwama district.
Militants fired at the security forces and tried to flee from the cordon. One militant identified as Musavir Hassan Wani son of Ghulam Hassan of Dalipora, Pulwama was killed. He was a B.Tech final year student of Ramdevi College of Education Chandigarh when he joined Hizbul Mujahideen outfit last year. One AK 56, one SLR gun, one detonator, 41 live rounds of AK-56, AK-56 magazine, one SLR magazine and other incriminating materials were recovered from his possession.

Click here to watch video

Sources said that Army got information about presence of four militants in an orchard at Kangan and they boarded taxis and went in civvies to conduct the operation. However, three militants fled and one was killed.
Clashes broke out in Kangan and other parts of Pulwama soon after the killing of the militant.
A police spokesman said that on a patrol of security forces, some firing took place at Kangan, Pulwama, in which acting swiftly security forces killed one militant and recovered one AK 47 and one SLR gun and other incriminating materials.
“No collateral damage has taken place in this episode. A case in this regard has been registered, and investigations taken up”, police said.
Security forces today arrested a militant from Juktiyal area of North Kashmir’s Kupwara district. The militant was injured in a gunfight that claimed 10 lives including five militants, three soldiers and two policemen at Check Fateh Khan of Haihama last month.
The militant had escaped in injured condition from the forests of Check Fateh Khan where gunfight raged for two days last month. The militant was apprehended during a cordon and search operation at Turshan area of Juktiyal.
Army and police made announcements asking people to come out of their homes, fearing gunfight. However, the militant was without any weapon and was in very bad health condition barely able to move. He was identified as Zabiullah alias Hamzah son of Sonaullah, a resident of Multan, Pakistan.
A Police spokesman said: “Perusing credible leads of  presence of terrorists, Kupwara police along with 41 RR and 98 Bn CRPF launched a CASO in Juggiyal, Turshan Mohalla, Hyhama area of the district. While the searches were intensified, security forces zeroed on one house where one terrorist was hiding. The joint forces strategically trapped the terrorist and arrested him from the spot.”
“He was identified as Zabiullah S/o Sannaullah Saqib R/o Multan Pakistan affiliated with LeT. He had recently infiltrated and was part of the group who were eliminated at Halmatpora recently. Incriminating materials were recovered from his possession. A case in this regard has been registered and investigations taken up”, the spokesman added.
In the meantime, the decapitated body of a youth abducted by militants on Wednesday night from his home was recovered in Bonkhan Mohalla of Hajin area of North Kashmir’s Bandipora district.
Today some locals spotted the headless body of Manzoor Ahmad Bhat, 25, son of Abdul Gaffar Bhat at an orchard near Bonkhan Mohalla, Hajin and accordingly informed the local police. Immediately, a police team reached the spot and recovered the body.
This is the second case of killing after kidnapping in Hajin area since Monday night. The father-son duo were abducted around 11:45 pm  Wednesday night.
The militants, believed to be affiliated with LeT, barged into the house of Abdul Gaffar Bhat at Hajin in Bandipora and started beating up people before abducting father-son duo. However, Abdul Gaffar Bhat escaped despite being fired upon and suffering injuries.
On Monday night, militants had abducted and later killed Nasser Ahmad alias Muntazir in the area.
And Kashmir Valley today observed shutdown amid protests and clashes at several parts against the killings in Shopian and Kangan.
Shops and business establishments remained closed in most parts of Kashmir while public transport was off the roads due to the strike. However, private cars were seen plying in the civil lines area of the city.
All educational institutions remained closed while the railway authorities suspended train services for today.
Clashes took place at several places in the Valley including Bunbazar, Mini Secretariat, Imam Sahab, Memander areas of Shopian district, Qalampora, Rajpora, Newa areas of Pulwama, Azad Gung and Mishra Gali Palhallan areas of Baramulla, Foot Bridge Paramipora, Old Barzulla, Nowgam, Soura, Hyderpora, Foreshore road areas of Srinagar, Trehgam, Battergam, Drugmulla areas of Kupwara district, Chrar-e-Sharief and Beerwah areas of Budgam district.
At least 30 persons were injured in clashes across Kashmir including SHO Nageen and a dozen of cops. Six among the protesters sustained pellet injuries in Shopian. They have been hospitalized.
A  woman identified as Shakeela Begum, 45, suffered injuries at Trehgam, Kupwara while as Abdul Rehman Dar, 56, was injured in Soura, Srinagar.
Station House Officer (SHO) Nigeen, Manzoor Ahmad sustained injuries during the clashes at foreshore road in Srinagar. The SHO has received over 20 stitches in the head and is being treated in SKIMS Soura where his condition is said to be serious.
Meanwhile, reports of peaceful protests were received from most parts of the Valley.
Scores of students of Government Medical College (GMC) Srinagar also staged peaceful protests against the killings and use of forces on students and on other people protesting the Shopian and Kangan killings in forces’ action.
To thwart the protests, authorities had put parts of Srinagar including Old City, Maisuma and Kralkhud under strict restrictions. Contingent of police and paramilitary CRPF were deployed in all the districts of South Kashmir to prevent protests.
Separatists had called for peaceful protests after Friday prayers against the killings.
As a precautionary measure, district administration Kupwara has decided to suspend class work in all Higher Secondary Schools and Degree Colleges of District tomorrow on April 7. However, lower classes will remain open.
Deputy Commissioner Baramulla Nasir Naqash said all higher secondary schools and colleges will remain closed in district on Saturday.  “But schools from primary to high school level will remain open,” he said.
Meanwhile, in view of concerns expressed by students from various parts of Kashmir valley, all Kashmir University examinations scheduled to be held on April 7 (Saturday) are postponed. “Fresh dates for the deferred examinations shall be notified separately, later”, a KU spokesman said.