Excelsior Correspondent
SRINAGAR, May 21: Contractors associated with the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) today deferred their protest, which had been going on for the last 12 days, after receiving assurances from the Government regarding the clearance of their pending payments.
The contractors were protesting over delays in bills and security deposits, claiming that around Rs.1, 500 crore is still pending.
Click here to watch video
National Conference leader and Hazratbal MLA Salman Ali Sagar visited the protesting contractors at the Chief Engineer’s Complex in Rajbagh and said their demands were genuine. He assured them that the matter would be taken up with the government.
Sagar said he came on the directions of National Conference president Farooq Abdullah to hear the concerns of the contractors. “This is an old issue. I will take up the matter with the ministers and the Chief Minister,” Sagar said.
He said they would want the immediate release of at least Rs. 100 crore in security deposits ahead of Eid, adding that such a move would provide much-needed financial relief.
On the question of whether a MoU would be signed, Sagar said such issues cannot be resolved in a single day but assured that efforts will continue.
Later, addressing a press conference, Nazir Ahmad, president of the Contractors Coordination Committee, said they had deferred the protest after the visit of the National Conference team. “We have deferred the protest after the team came here on the directions of Dr. Farooq Abdullah. Trusting them, we hope they will take our issues to the higher authorities,” he said.
