Gunmen loot Rs 6 lakh from SBI

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, Aug 1: Gunmen today barged into State Bank of India branch in Qoimoh in South Kashmir’s Kulgam district and looted over half a million rupees.
At least three men, two of them armed with rifles forced their entry into the SBI branch Qoimoh this morning. The gunmen asked the customers inside the bank to keep quiet and broke computers inside the bank. Some of the employees were also beaten as the gun men were asking for the keys of the locker in which cash was stored.
They opened the locker with the keys and looted over Rs six lakh. The gunmen had come in a white coloured Alto and parked it outside the bank. As they came out of the bank and boarded the vehicle, they fired several gun shots in air to clear the traffic.
Police and Army immediately reached the spot and massive searches were launched against those responsible for the loot.
Police arrested seven youth during clashes following the bank robbery in Qoimoh area. Seven college-going students were detained near SKUAST, Khudwani today morning during clashes that erupted following a bank robbery in nearby Qoimoh area.
As the news of arrests spread in the area, people took to streets and staged protests, demanding their release. A spontaneous shutdown was also observed in the area against the arrests.
Militants fired at UBGL grenade at the Army camp of 32 RR at Watergam in Sopore area of North Kashmir this evening. The security forces immediately cordoned off the area and massive searches have been launched to nab the militants responsible for the attack.
And militants today opened fire on Army soldiers during a cordon-and-search-operation (CASO) in a village in South Kashmir’s Shopian district.
Army personnel were laying siege around Chek-e-Choland village of the district when they were fired at by the militants. The reinforcements were rushed to the village and searches were launched in the area to nab the militants.
And in Barzulla area of Srinagar, hundreds of people late last night took part in the last rites of a militant whose body was brought from frontier district Kupwara yesterday after over a month after his killing in an encounter.
Hundreds of people had assembled in Barzulla when his body reached there at around 9.30 pm.
Police exhumed the body of Mudasir Ahmad Bhat yesterday afternoon and handed over to the next of his kin in Jumgund forests of Kupwara where he remained buried since June 29 when Army claimed to have killed him in a gunfight.