Boy dies due to medical negligence at SKIMS

Family members and relatives of teenager protesting outside SKIMS Soura. -Excelsior/Shakeel
Family members and relatives of teenager protesting outside SKIMS Soura. -Excelsior/Shakeel

Excelsior Correspondent
Srinagar, Jan 28: A teenager today died allegedly due to the negligence of doctors at Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS), Soura.
Moomin Shafi, 18, of Gaasu Hazratbal breathed his last at around 11 a.m. today after he was admitted to the emergency section of the hospital with stomach upset and mild fever.
However, as per the family members, the doctors did not attend to the patient after repeated requests from his mother and were repeatedly told that he was doing fine and there was no need to worry.
Talking to the media persons during a protest demonstration that was held by the family members, his father, Muhammad Shafi Wani said that he was doing fine and was talking to them.
“It is something minor fever and stomach irritation it is not something grave; we have earlier thought that we would take him to a private clinic, but then decided otherwise, we did not know that he will not come out of the hospital alive,” he said.
As per the family members, he was given a drip of Diclofenac, however, soon after the drip; his condition deteriorated ultimately resulting in his death. The family members said that initial cause of death, “as written by the doctor was given out as shock due to Diclofenac and later was written as cardiac arrest.” “They must have given him excessive dosage which caused his death,” said Bilal Ahmad Wani, a relative.
Moomin had recently passed his class 12 examination and was set to join the college; however, his untimely death has shattered his entire family. The helplessness of the Moomin’s family was also narrated by the attendants of the fellow patients, who said that his mother repeatedly asked the doctor to have a look at her son, whose condition was deteriorating.
The family demanded that those responsible for the death of their son should be immediately booked and punished as per law. “What happened with us should not happen with anybody else,” Wani said.
The family is also aghast over the inaction of the administration which did not take any action following the incident. “It was when we went to them they woke up and on top of it they told us that now that it has happened, what will come out of creating ruckus,” the family said.
When contacted the SKIMS authorities declined to comment on the issue. They, however, said that they have taken cognizance of the issue and will do the needful.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here