KATHUA, June 6: At least nine mini-shops (Khokas) were gutted in a fire incident at Phinter in tehsil Billawar early today.
Reports said at round 5 am today, the fire broke out in one of the structures situated on Phinter-Billawar road. It spread to other adjoining ‘Khokas’ within no time as all the structures were made of wooden planks. The people at their own tried to control the fire by pouring water but failed in their efforts.
In the absence of any Fire Service Station at Billawar or any other town in the area, the fire could not be controlled and it razed all the adjoining nine structures.
The traders and local people expressed strong resentment and put forth the strong demand of sanctioning of Fire Station at Billawar.
The property worth over Rs 4 to 5 lakh was destroyed in the fire incident. The police has registered a case in this connection. Short-circuit is believed to be the cause of accident. The damaged structures belonged to Abdul Hamid, Mohd Saddiq, Rasal Chand, Feroz Din, Chuni Lal, Saddiq, Mashroof Ahmed etc.