7 CRPF men hurt in grenade attack; SPO released

Excelsior Correspondent
SRINAGAR, July 28: Seven Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were injured in a grenade explosion at Jawbhara area of Awantipora in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district this evening while a Special Police Officer (SPO), who was abducted by militants from Tral area last night, was let off this evening.
Militants lobbed a grenade towards the CRPF party near Jawbhara Chowk. Seven CRPF personnel of 130 battalion were injured and were taken to nearby hospital for treatment. Soon after the incident, security forces launched searches in the area to nab the attackers.

Click here to watch video

They have been identified as  Head Constable Ratikant Malik,  HC Om Prakash, HC Brain Singh, HC Rohit Verma, constable Mohan Rao, constable JK Padh and constable Raju Gagayee.
A police spokesman said here: “Terrorists this evening lobbed a grenade on security forces at Jawbhara area in Awantipora. In this incident, four security forces personnel of 130 Bn CRPF sustained injuries. They were subsequently shifted to nearby hospital for treatment. Police has registered a case and initiated investigation in the matter”.
An SPO Mudasir Ahmad  Lone son of Fayaz Ahmad Lone resident of Chankatar Tral was abducted by militants last night from his residence. However, he was released by his abductors this evening. Sources said that he was beaten up before he was let off.
Sources said that three militants barged into his house and abducted Mudasir Ahmad Lone. Mudasir is presently posted at Police post Reshipora Awantipora and is performing his duties as cook.
Earlier, in an emotional appeal that went viral on social networking websites, the mother of the SPO surrounded by her three daughters, said: “He is my only son among four children. He had to come back home (to quit the job) and was to declare it this Friday in the mosque. However, he got engaged in some work and didn’t get time.”
She appealed to the militants to have mercy on her and her three daughters and set Mudasir free for Allah’s sake.”You are also my own children. I request you to kindly set him free and he will quit the job and apologize for all his mistakes. If you hear of any complaint in future you can kill all of us,” she said.
In the meantime, a youth from South Kashmir’s Pulwama district announced on social media his joining Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT). Ishfaq Ahmad Wani, 26, son of Mohammad Yousuf Wani, of Pulwama’s Koil village has joined militancy. His picture brandishing with a rifle has gone viral on social media. His code name, as per the picture, is Abu Turab, having qualification MBA. He was missing from July 22. The family on next day filed a missing report with the police.
Another youth Muzamil Nazeer Bhat, 18, an 11th class student, has also gone missing since July 22. Family of Bhat, a resident of Prichoo village in Pulwama, has filed a missing report with the concerned police station.
And parents of Junaid Hamid Ganaie  son of Abdul Hamid Ganaie of Chak Shamshipora Shopian involved in snatching of  a 12 bore rifle  from Jammu and Kashmir Bank guard at main branch Shopian few days back was handed over by parents to Shopian Police along with 12 bore Rifle.
Militants this evening attacked an Army camp at Seelu area of Sopore in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
Militants attacked the Army’s 22 RR camp at Seelu along Srinagar-Kupwara highway, this evening. They fired rifle grenade and from automatic weapons and the fire was retaliated by the army. However, there was no immediate report of any injury on either side.
The area has been cordoned off and searches were launched against the militants responsible for the attack.