4 CRPF men, 3 civilians injured in Srinagar blasts

Fayaz Bukhari

SRINAGAR, June 2: A Special Police Officer (SPO) who was critically injured in a militant attack at Puchal area of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district last week, succumbed to injuries this evening while a youth mowed down by Central Reserve Police Force vehicle in Nowhatta area yesterday succumbed this morning. Click here to watch video
SPO, Aqib Wagay son of Abdul Ahad Wagay was attacked by militants at Puchal village on Tuesday. He was shot at in both legs by the militants.
Wagay, a resident of Panzagam Awantipora, suffered serious bullet wounds and was shifted to 92 Base Hospital Badamibagh Cantonment Srinagar where from he was referred to SKIMS Soura.
After battling for life for four days, SPO succumbed in SKIMS Soura this evening. A video showing militants interrogating the SPO who was shot at by them in Pulwama district, had gone viral on social media.
The video was shot before he was fired upon. The video showed that he was being questioned by militants for allegedly being involved in supply of liquor to villages from Army camp.
Three paramilitary CRPF personnel and two pedestrians including a woman were injured after militants hurled a grenade on CRPF party at Fatehkadal area of old city in Srinagar on this evening.
Militants hurled a grenade on CRPF 82 battalion (F coy) at Fatehkadal. Three CRPF men sustained splinter injuries in the attack.
Two pedestrians including a woman were also injured in the blast. All the injured were shifted to nearby hospital for treatment.
A paramilitary CRPF man was injured this evening in a grenade blast at Budshah bridge near Maisuma in Lal Chowk. Militants hurled a grenade on CRPF vehicle at Budshah bridge.
A CRPF man and a pedestrian Abdul Rashid Mir of Gurez were injured in the attack.
Militants this evening hurled a grenade at IRP 6th Battalion securing the premises of Police Control Room Batamaloo in Srinagar on rare side.
The grenade exploded but there was no damage. The area was cordoned off and a manhunt was launched to nab the attackers.
And in the meantime, a youth Kaiser Bhat, 21, who was mowed down by the CRPF vehicle in the old city area of Nowhatta during protests on Friday, succumbed to injuries.
Bhat was admitted to Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS), here. He succumbed to critical internal injuries early today.
Police registered a case of rash-driving against the CRPF for mowing down the youth during protests in Nowhatta area of downtown Srinagar yesterday and a case of rioting has also been registered against the protesters.
The cases include- FIR No 18/2018 under Sections 307, 148, 149,152, 336, 427 RPC and FIR No 19/ 2018 U/s 279 (rash driving), 337 RPC.
A shutdown was observed across Kashmir valley today to protest against civilian killings.
Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik had called for shutdown in Kashmir today.
Shops and other business establishments, schools were closed while public transport was off the roads in Srinagar. However, the situation in downtown Srinagar was tense following the death of a youth who was run over by a CRPF vehicle in Nowhatta yesterday.
Rail services have been suspended while Internet was shut in Srinagar and Budgam districts in central Kashmir.
JKLF chief Yasin Malik was arrested while Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq were placed under house arrest.
Thousands of people took part in the last rites of Kaiser Bhat. Security forces fired tear gas on the mourners at the Chowk, injuring dozens of them.