3 militants, soldier killed

2 SPOs resign in South Kashmir

Excelsior Correspondent
SRINAGAR, Sept 1: Three militants and an Army soldier were killed in a week-long operation at Danna forest area of North Kashmir’s Bandipora district.
A joint team of Army’s 31 RR and 27 RR had launched a cordon-and-search operation in the forests of Chaan Daji and Dani Behak area a week ago after repeated inputs about presence of militants in the area.
Yesterday afternoon, as the Army spotted the militant group they challenged them leading to an encounter at Danna forests in which two Army personnel were injured. However, militants slipped from the area but the reinforcements were sent to the area and militants were cornered.
The Army this morning established contact with the militant group leading to an encounter in which a soldier Rifleman Shiv Kumar of 31 RR was injured. He was evacuated to 92 Base Hospital at Badami Bagh Cantonment, where he succumbed to injuries.
Three militants of Lashkar-e-Toiba were killed later in the afternoon in the encounter. Huge quantity of arms and ammunition and war like stores were recovered from the encounter site.
Srinagar based Defence spokesperson Colonel Rajesh Kalia said that three militants have been killed in the operation at Danna forests. He said that the bodies of the slain militants along with as many weapons and other like stores were recovered. He added that the operation concluded late in the afternoon today.
Security forces today launched cordon and search operation at Sub-District Hospital Tral in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
A joint team of Jammu and Kashmir Police, Army’s 42 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) and 180 battalion of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) launched the operation in the area following specific inputs about the presence of militants in the area.
They blocked the entries to the hospital so that searches are carried out. However, no militant was found during the searches.
And in the meantime, two Special Police Officers (SPOs) today resigned in South Kashmir taking the number of SPOs resigning since yesterday to five following militant threats and abductions.
Gulzar Ahmad Wagay son of Abdul Qarim Wagay of Arihal in district Pulwama today resigned from his job. He was posted in Tea canteen at DPO Pulwama.
Another SPO Umar Ishaq (No. 524/SPO) son of Mohammad Ishaq Sheikh of Zawoora in district Shopian posted at District Police Lines Shopian also resigned today.