2 held for cop’s killing

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, June 21:  Normal life in Kashmir remained disrupted in response to strike called by separatists against the killing of a senior journalist and civilians in the Valley.
The shutdown was given by the separatist leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik.
Shops, business establishments and most of the educational institutes remained closed while the traffic was also thin on the roads.
Security forces were deployed in large numbers in the sensitive areas of Srinagar to thwart any possible protests.  However, the situation across the Valley remained peaceful.
Meanwhile, amid complete shutdown against the veteran journalist Shujaat Bukhari and civilian killings in Kashmir, the authorities detained Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), Mohammad Yasin Malik and put Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house arrest while Geelani continues to be under house arrest.
Malik was detained today to prevent him from leading any protests against the civilian killings.
A police party last night arrived at Mirwaiz’s Nigeen residence and placed him under house arrest.
And the train services between Banihal and Baramulla remained suspended as a precautionary measure today.
In the meantime, security forces launched a search operation in Karhama forest area of North Kashmir’s Kupwara district following a stand-off between militants and Army last night.
Army and militants exchanged a brief gunfight in Karhama forest area on last night. The entire area has been cordoned off soon after the brief gunfight in the forest area.
Additional troops this morning also joined the operation and sniffer dogs were pressed into service to trace out the militants.
Meanwhile, panic gripped in Teetwal area of Tanghdar sector during intervening night of June 20/21 after exchange of fire between Indo-Pak troops.
The firing started at around 2.30 am in the forward areas in Tanghdar at Satpora, Dani, Hajithra, Tad villages. The intermittent firing continued till 6 am.
Some residential houses also suffered partial damages at Forward Satpora village due to firing.
And police today cracked the Wadwan shootout case in which one police man Shamim Ahmad was killed by militants last month.
Police said that during the investigation of case (FIR number 111/18 under Sections 302, 307, 395/511 RPC of Police Station Budgam, Police along with 2RR Dharmuna apprehended two prime suspects identified as Dawood Ahmad Ganie son of Ali Mohd Ganie resident of Kashka Mohalla Soibugh and Touseef Ahmad Kumbay son of Ghulam Mohammad Kumbay resident of Warsangam Soibugh. Two hand grenades were recovered from their possession.
Shamin Ahmad of Budgam Police was killed while on duty on May 11, 2018 at Minority Guard Wadwan, while the weapon snatching bid was foiled.