Two protesters killed in South Kashmir; scores injured

Fayaz Bukhari
Srinagar, Sept 10: Two protesters were killed in security forces firing in South Kashmir today taking the death toll in Kashmir unrest to 77 including two cops while clashes and protests continued across the Valley amid curfew like restrictions in parts of Kashmir and shutdown.
A protester was killed and 5 others were injured as police and paramilitary forces fired teargas and pellets to quell protests at Tukuru village in Shopian district of South Kashmir.
The slain protester has been identified as Sayar Ahmad Sheikh, 16, of Ganovpora,  Shopian. He received serious head injuries after he was hit by a teargas shell. He was removed to Public Health Centre (PHC) Rajpora. However, doctors declared him as brought dead.
A student of class 9th, Sayar’s death triggered massive protests in Tukuru, Ganapora and its adjoining areas as large number of people including women came out to protest.
A police spokesman while giving details of killing of protester at Shopian said that about 500 miscreants assembled and pelted stones on police and security force deployments at Tukroo. “The police used lathi charge and fired teargas to disperse the violent mob,” he said and added that one person identified as Sayar Ahmad Sheikh resident of Ganovpora got injured after he was hit by tear smoke shell. “He was shifted to Sub District Hospital Rajpora for treatment where he succumbed to his injuries,” he said.
Another protester, Yawar Mushtaq, son of Mushtaq Ahmad Dar, resident of Botengoo in Anantnag district was killed after security forces fired pellets on him during clashes. The youth, according to locals, was hit in chest and abdomen and died on the spot. The youth’s killing triggered massive protests in the area and adjoining localities along Srinagar-Jammu National Highway. A local Government Higher Secondary school was gutted during clashes at Botengoo. Residents said it was hit by teargas while police said it was torched by protesters.
The police spokesman said that at Anantnag about 200 miscreants attacked police and security forces deployments at Batengoo. “While dealing with the situation police used lathi, charge and fired teargas smoke shells but the miscreants did not yield,” he said adding while dealing with law and order one person identified as Yawar Mushtaq Dar got injured. “He was shifted to hospital for treatment where he succumbed to his injuries,” he said.
In Srinagar, hundreds of people attended the funeral of a CAPD driver, Abdul Qayoom Wani, of Aali Kadal at Jama Masjid in downtown city. The driver succumbed last night at SKIMS Soura and his death triggered protests in downtown areas. While his family said that he was beaten by security forces, police said he was killed in a road accident at Hyderpora.
Amid tensions, a strict curfew was imposed by authorities in Old City areas falling under five police stations including MR Gunj, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari and Safakadal. The restrictions were also imposed in Habba Kadal and Kani Kadal areas of Old Srinagar.
However, Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, Baseer Khan said there was no curfew today anywhere in Kashmir valley. “However, restrictions were imposed at few places in Srinagar as also in some towns in the Valley,” he said.
Shutdown was observed across Kashmir with shops and commercial establishments, banks, petrol pumps and educational institutes closed and traffic was off the roads. However, in the evening, shops opened in many areas of Srinagar but in Lal Chowk and its adjacent areas they remained closed after the killing of two protesters today.
The clashes between protesters and security forces erupted at Chattabal, Nowgam, Rainawari, Bahaduddin Sahab Nowhatta, Rawalpora, Baghe-e-Mehtab and Batamaloo areas. Police fired teargas and stun grenades to disperse the protesters. In Sadrabal area of city, protests erupted after police arrested stone-pelters. Clashes erupted at Nowhatta, Safa Kadal, Fateh Kadal and Aali Kadal in the evening and police fired tear smoke to disperse the protesters.
In South Kashmir’s Anantnag district, clashes erupted at Hillad after culmination of a protest. At least one dozen protesters were injured in these clashes. Five persons were injured at Nasru Badagund village of Qazigund in Kulgam district during clashes. The clashes also erupted at Tahab area of Pulwama district.
Clashes were also reported from Central Kashmir’s Budgam district at many places. Police fired pellets and teargas against the protests at many places. Clashes were also reported from Check Kawoosa near Narbal Budgam this evening.
Several protesters were injured in clashes at Aloosa area of Bandipora district in North Kashmir. Reports said that clashes erupted in several areas of Bandipora this evening. The stone-throwing clashes between protesters and security forces also erupted at Dooru village of Sopore in Baramulla district. Earlier, a protest rally was held in Dooru. The clashes between security forces and protesters erupted at Baramulla town after withdrawal of deployments.
Meanwhile, a statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters Kashmir, said that six incidents of stone pelting were reported from Anantnag, Kulgam, Sopore, Baramulla and Shopian. “At these places, miscreants assembled on the roads and pelted stones on police and security forces deployments and tried to disturb the movement of the vehicles,” the statement said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here