Strike, curfew like restrictions disrupt life

Excelsior Correspondent
SRINAGAR, May 1: Normal life was disrupted today in Kashmir valley due to curfew like restrictions imposed by authorities and strike called by separatists against the killing of two militants and a civilian during a gunfight at Drabgam area of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
Shops and other business establishments were closed in the Valley while public transport was off the roads. However, private vehicles were plying in various parts of the Valley.
Schools, Colleges and Universities were closed to prevent student protests. Attendance in the Government offices was also thin.
Authorities also imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar including in the areas falling under Police Stations of  Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta,  MR Gunj and Safa Kadal. Partial restrictions remained in force in uptown areas of Maisuma and Kralkhud to prevent protests. Restrictions were also imposed in parts of South Kashmir.
Separatist leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik had called for the shutdown against the killing of a civilian and two militants in Drabgam village yesterday.
Security forces were heavily deployed in South Kashmir and the downtown area of Srinagar to foil any protests.
Amid the shutdown, thousands of people turned up in the funeral of two militants- Hizb commander Sameer Tiger and Aqib Khan in Drabgam and Rajpora.
Meanwhile, reports of stone pelting clashes were received from Bellow Rajpora Pulwama, Haal Mugalpora Pulwama, Malpora Qazgiund, Shah Colony Foot Bridge Parimpora, Sabzi Mandi Soura, Railway Pull Kralpora and Nesu, Bandipora.
A CRPF man was injured after being hit by a stone at Malik Sahab, Safakadal. The CRPF deployment came under stone pelting when they were returning back to camps. However, there were no reports about injury to any protester or bystander.
All the exams scheduled for Tuesday were postponed by the University of Kashmir.
Train services between North Kashmir’s Baramulla town and Banihal town in the Jammu region were also cancelled. Mobile Internet services too remained suspended across South Kashmir.