Strategy for JEE Main 2018

Ayush Nargotra
The Joint Entrance Exam or JEE is a common entrance exam conducted at all India level for facilitating admissions into undergraduate technical courses like B.E, B.Tech & B.Arch. Every year around 15 lakh students appear for this exam. Preparation of JEE is demanding. The vastness of JEE Syllabus and the level of competition makes it one of the toughest competitive exams.

Till 2011, All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) was conducted by CBSE every year. In the year 2012, CBSE announced the replacement of IIT-JEE and AIEEE with Joint Entrance Examination (JEE).
The AIEEE was replaced by JEE-Mains to facilitate admissions into the NITs, IIITs and other CFTIs (Centrally Funded Technical Institutes).
The IIT-JEE was replaced by JEE-Advanced to facilitate admissions into the IITs (Indian Institute of Technology).
JEE is conducted in two phases
The first phase of JEE is JEE Main (Paper-1 & Paper-2) and is conducted by CBSE every year for facilitating admission into NITs, IIITs, DTU and the other central and state funded institutes. The courses offered by these institutes are B.Tech/B.E., Integrated MSc’s, B.Arch/B.Planning courses etc.
Know your paper
Paper – 1:
A. Engineering Entrance Exam for B.Tech/B.E.
B. The time duration of exam is 3 hours.
C. There are objective type questions from Physics 30 Q, Chemistry 30 questions & Mathematics 30 Questions.
D. For each correct answer, the student will be awarded 4 marks and in the case of every wrong answer, 1 mark will be deducted.
E. Both online and offline mode of examination is available.
The JEE Main paper is a race against time. It is important to optimise your performance by practicing a good number of MCQs. There are 90 questions in all to be done in 3 hours duration. So on an average, a student gets 2 minutes per question. But there are questions which may consume more time. That means one must be able to solve some other questions in lesser time so as to manage the time well. This could be achieved by going through a good number of MCQs.
Paper – 2:
A. Architecture Entrance Exam for B. Arch/B. Planning.
B. The time duration of exam is 3 hours.
C. There are objective type questions from Mathematics (Part – 1) and Aptitude Test (Part – 2) and Part – 3 is a Drawing Test.
D. For each correct answer (Part-1 & Part-2), students will be awarded 4 marks and in the case of every wrong answer, 1 mark will be deducted.
E. There is no negative marking for Part-3 and only offline mode of examination is available.
The second phase of JEE is JEE-Advanced and is conducted every year on a rotation basis by different IITs. Institutes like IITs and ISM- Dhanbad grant admissions only on the basis of ranks obtained in JEE – Advanced.
Only those students who will clear the prescribed cut off marks of JEE Mains are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced. Every year around 220,000 students from JEE Mains become eligible for appearing in JEE Advanced.
Both the papers, 1 and 2, in JEE Advanced contain questions from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. While Paper 1 has objective questions, Paper 2 has numerical-type questions.
In JEE-Main, questions are mostly taken directly from NCERT textbook concepts and 30% of questions asked in JEE Main require less level of thinking, logic, and dedication for aiming an average score of around 200 marks but in the case of JEE-Advanced, it requires more logic, dedication, and hard work. Students should have a very deep knowledge about the subjects for getting admission into the top IITs.
Every student has its own study techniques but it is important for every student to know about the syllabus before starting their JEE preparations. The purpose of JEE syllabus is to drive the decision of what content has to be read and prepared.
It is not just about what you did in the past two years. It is also about what you will do in the last few days. Many people don’t realize just how important these final days leading to the D-day are. The truth is that your preparation and attitude at this time can determine how you perform in your exam.
Servesh mehtani last year`s All India topper, a Lakshya student, has time and again emphasised that your attitude, teachers, study material , test series, robomate+ (recorded lectures) and temperament to the last will assure you a good rank in this exam.
Strategy for attempting JEE Main Exam
Don`t Solve the Paper Sequentially instead do it in Rounds.
Scan the whole paper and start with your strong section among Maths, Physics or Chemistry.
Dedicate 90 minutes for Round 1. In Round 1 attempt only Easy questions so as to increase your morale early in the Exam. Your mental temperament during the exam is key to your success.
Attempting only Easy Questions from all the 3 Sections will guarantee that you clear the aggregate cut-off. Mark those questions which could not be solved completely or are giving you some doubts. After attempting all the Easy Questions go for Round 2.
Dedicate 60 minutes for Round 2. In Round 2 attempt Medium Difficulty level questions from a section which you feel is comparatively easy. Don`t rely on guess work and focus on accuracy as out of the 4 answer options, there is 75% chance of choosing a wrong answer and only 25% chance of choosing a right answer. Round 2 will get you a good rank and assure your selection for JEE Advance.
Again mark those questions which could not be solved completely or are giving you some doubts. After attempting all the Medium level Questions go for Round 3.
Dedicate 30 minutes for Round 3. In Round 3 attempt only those questions which you have marked in Rounds 1 & 2. Try to solve these questions again with some new approach. You will be able to crack some of these questions.
Don`t attempt question which you are unable to understand due to unknown concept/ high difficulty. Leave these questions and don`t worry about these ones and focus on easy and medium Level questions only.
Keep your Rough work neat and safe as it is very important for Round 3 i.e Revision.
Don`t write anything other than required on OMR – your copy may not be checked.
Focus on JEE MAINS till JEE MAIN. Good marks in JEE MAINS will boost your confidence for JEE Advance. For  JEE Advance You will have 40 days after JEE main. With good rank your NIT/IIT seat will be secured.
All the Best!!!
(The author is Director at Lakshya Forum for Competitions in)