Soldier goes missing in Kulgam, massive manhunt launched in South Kashmir

Relatives and neighbours gather at the residence of Javaid Ahmad Wani to express solidarity with his family members. (UNI)
Relatives and neighbours gather at the residence of Javaid Ahmad Wani to express solidarity with his family members. (UNI)

Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar, July 30 : Security forces have launched a massive manhunt in Kulgam district to trace out a soldier who went missing from Asthal area of the district last evening.
The soldier Javid Ahmad Wani son of Muhammad Ayoub Wani, a resident of Asthal area of Kulgam has been missing since last evening.

Click here to watch video
An official said that last evening Wani went to Chawalgam area to purchase some food items in his Alto vehicle bearing registration number (JK-18B 7201). “Since then, he has not reported back to his home. His car was found at village Paranhall,” he said
The soldier was on leave for the last one month and is posted in Leh, Ladakh.
“He left to buy something at 7:30 pm. And then after some time, we found his car with traces of blood. One of his slippers and cap was also there,” said his brother, Mudasir Ahmad Wani.
He said that his brother Javid, a soldier with 3-JAKLI in Ladakh, was on leave for Eid ul Azha from June 29.
Mudasir said that Javed was to leave home to join his duties on Sunday. “He had asked me to drop him off at Srinagar on Sunday. He had already packed his belongings,” he said.
Mohammad Ayub Wani, father of the soldier, appealed to those who might have abducted the soldier to release him since he was the only breadwinner of the family.
“I appeal to those who have abducted him to set him free. If he has troubled anyone, I apologise for that,” Wani told reporters.
Meanwhile, the mother of the missing soldier in a video message has appealed one and all to release her son. “My son is innocent and he is too young. I am seeking forgiveness if my son has committed any wrong,” she said.
The soldier’s disappearance has triggered fear that he might have been kidnapped by militants prompting a massive manhunt by the security forces in Kulgam and other areas.
Police have also registered a case and are investigating the matter.
The official said that two persons were detained for questioning. However, it is not known whether they have any knowledge about the circumstances in which he went missing or not.
“The searches are going on and we are investigating the abduction angle as well,” he said.