Police foils separatist march

Excelsior Correspondent
SRINAGAR, Apr 4: Normal life in Kashmir remained paralysed today while Police foiled separatist march to Shopian by erecting barricades on the roads leading to Shopian and Kulgam in South Kashmir and putting curbs on the movement of separatist leaders.
Hurriyat (G) chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani was barred from marching to Shopian today to offer condolences to the bereaved families. Police deployed outside Geelani’s residence in Hyderpora prevented him from coming out.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was also detained today as he tried to defy his house arrest to march towards Shopian. He came out of his Nigeen residence around 11.30 am where he has been placed under house arrest. A large contingent of police men deployed there foiled his march by detaining him. He was taken to nearby Nigeen Police Station and was later let off.
The separatists had called for Shopian march today to express solidarity with the people and offer condolences to the bereaved families who lost their loved ones in Sunday’s clashes. They had also planned to hold a rally at Shopian.
Police had erected barricades on the roads leading to Shopian and Kulgam to prevent any separatist leader and their supporters to enter the two towns. Police were checking all the vehicles that were headed towards the two district headquarters.
A Police spokesman said here today: “The general law and order situation in the Valley remained by and large peaceful, today. However, some minor stone pelting incidents were reported from Shopian area in which one police personnel identified as Constable Mohammad Amin was injured. He was shifted to hospital for treatment and is stated to be stable.”
Clashes erupted between protesters and security forces in Kangan area of Central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district today against the killing of Gowhar Ahmed Rather, who succumbed to injuries yesterday at SKIMS hospital in Soura area of Srinagar.
Clashes broke out after youth tried to take out a protest rally against his killing. Security forces fired tear-gas to disperse the protesting youth. A few cops were injured in the clashes.
And at least five youth were detained in Beerwah township of Central Kashmir’s Budgam district today during clashes between protesters and security forces. Clashes broke out today afternoon after youth protested.
Security forces fired tear gas to disperse the protesters, triggering further clashes. However, police arrested five youth who hurled stones at Police.
In the meantime, barring Shopian district and few other areas, the schools and colleges will remain open on Thursday in Kashmir valley.
Officials said that schools and colleges will remain open on Thursday in Srinagar district while as all the schools and colleges will remain closed in Shopian district.
Kashmir University have also decided to resume class work in the varsity from Thursday.
In the meantime, Inspector General of Police Kashmir Swayam Prakash Pani accompanied by SSP Srinagar Imtiaz Ismail Parray took a round of downtown Srinagar to take a stock of the situation in the city.
The spokesman said that the visit was primarily aimed at familiarization with the men deployed on the ground and interact with them in appreciation of the nature of duties they are undertaking. During the visit, IGP Kashmir S.P Pani covered areas of Shehr-e-Khas and also visited PS Nowhatta.
During his visit, the IGP gave instructions to the police officers to follow proper SOPs while dealing with any law and order situation, the spokesman said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here