Northeast students’ hostels soon in JNU, Bangalore University: Dr Jitendra

Excelsior Correspondent

NEW DELHI, May 31: Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) and MoS PMO, Dr Jitendra Singh disclosed here today that Northeast students’ hostels will soon become functional in Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi and Bangalore University.
Interacting with a group of Vice Chancellors from different universities, Dr Jitendra Singh said that considering the large number of students from the North Eastern States undertaking courses in different streams and departments in Bangalore University, it was decided to have a hostel there. As a result, he informed, a piece of land was acquired from the Bangalore University within its campus for construction of a hostel, which is nearing completion and expected to become functional shortly.
Similarly, Dr Jitendra Singh said, a piece of land had been acquired within the campus of the Jawaharlal Nehru University, but the work on the project got delayed because of certain forest clearance issues. However, he added, the issue was resolved successfully after a series of meetings with the JNU authorities as well as the Delhi State Government authorities, following which the construction work was initiated and the building is expected to be completed in the near future.
The cost of construction of both these projects has been borne by the NEC / Ministry of Northeast (DoNER). He said, the modalities of admission to these hostels will be worked out in due course of time.
Dr Jitendra Singh said, he had suggested to have 75 percent of inmates in these hostels from the eight North Eastern States and to have the rest of 25 percent from outside Northeast. This, he said, will offer an opportunity to the students from the Northeast to engage in a healthy social and cultural mingling with students from other parts of the country and at the same time, this might also help in generating some revenue in managing the hostel.
Meanwhile, Dr Jitendra Singh informed that a piece of land has been acquired at Rohini, Delhi where the construction of another hostel for students from Northeast will be undertaken, primarily catering to the students from Delhi University At the same time, he said, over a three acre land has been acquired at a prime location at Dwarka in Delhi where a Northeast Convention cum Cultural Centre is proposed to be brought up.
The Vice Chancellors, who met Dr Jitendra Singh, offered their inputs depending upon the experiences in their respective Universities.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here