Ever seen a strange rock formation and wondered how it got that way? Or watched a documentary about an overcrowded slum and wanted to understand why people were living in such poor conditions? If you choose to study geography at university, you’ll have a chance to explore these types of questions, and much more. Indeed, geography degrees are some of the most varied; it’s more apt to consider this as a broad academic field, rather than a single subject.
If you have love for Geography, some of the career fields you can go in for are :
Most of the countries in the world have started specialising in Geographical Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS). With the advent of new and advanced technology, the importance of geospatial science is going to amplify. Accelerated growth and development prospects in India would encourage several industries and businesses to use GIS and Remote Sensing. These tools and techniques can be widely used in the fields of agriculture, irrigation, forestry, transportation and others. Geoinformatics includes GIS, Remote Sensing and Global Positioning System (GPS). You can be hired at various levels in positions like GIS Mapping Technician, GIS Data Specialist, GIS Application Specialist, GIS Business Analyst, GIS Engineer, GIS Operator, GIS Consultant, Geospatial Software Engineer, GIS Programmer, and GIS Technical Assistant. Some of the public sector organizations that would hire you are Indian Space Research Organization, National Remote Sensing Center, National Spatial Data Infrastructure, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Forest Survey of India, Geological Survey of India and Department of Science and Technology.
Institute and Course Cursor
* Punjab University, Department of Geography – Masters in GIS and Remote Sensing.
* UNIGIS@ PU_ Chandigarh – 2-year MSc in Geographical Information Science & Systems (UNIGIS MSc), and 1-year Professional Diploma in Geographical Information Systems (UNIGIS Professional)
* MDS University, Ajmer – MSc in Remote Sensing and Geo Informatics.
* Indian Institute of Technology Bombay – M.Tech in Remote Sensing
* Jamia Millia Islamia, (A Central University), New Delhi – PG Diploma in Remote Sensing and GIS Application.
* Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi – M.Sc. and M.Tech in Remote Sensing
* School of Oceanographic Studies, Jadavpur University, Kolkata – Post Graduate Diploma in GIS and Remote Sensing.
* Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun – M.Tech in Remote Sensing and GIS
* Institute of Environment & Geo-Informatics, Delhi – 2 years M.Sc Programme in GIS & Remote Sensing, Environment Science, Disaster Management, Urban Planning & Sustainable Development.
* Indian Institute of Technology , Dhanbad – two year flagship M.Tech programme in Geomatics with focus on application of remote sensing, GIS.
Meteorology is referred to as the science of atmosphere, which is the blanket of air covering the earth. Those who specialise in the field of meteorology are called Meteorologists or Climatologists or Atmospheric scientists. The main task of a meteorologist is to collect and analyze information on atmospheric conditions. To begin a career as a meteorologist one must have at least a bachelor degree in meteorology or atmospheric science. Bachelor degree is of four year duration. A master degree in meteorology with relevant specialization is essential for positions such as operational meteorologists, physical meteorologists, synoptic meteorologists, environmental meteorologists and hydro meteorologists. Master level programmes are of two year duration. Candidates who are aspiring to become researchers and scientists must complete a PhD programme in Meteorology. Duration of a doctoral programme is normally over three years.
The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology etc. recruits candidates through Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Those with Masters degree can apply for the posts. Besides government entities, Private enterprises like consulting firms, gas and oil exploration companies and hydroelectric plants hire meteorologists. They can also join universities as researchers. There is great scope for research, as several institutes like Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology recruit people for various research works.
* Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh – M.Sc in Meteorology.
* Aviation Meteorology Sc. & Engineering Research Council, Coimbatore – Masters degree in Agricultural Meteorology .
* Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore – Masters in Geography
* Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur- M.Tech Land and Water Resources Engineering.
* Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune- M.A and M.Sc in Geography
Cartography is the art and science of making and using maps, which are symbolic representations of geography..Cartographers develop maps for a range of clients. This can be military maps to geological charts used by industries, as well as everyday maps detailing roads and footpaths for tourists or travelers. They collect, analyze, and interpret both spatial data-such as latitude, longitude, elevation, and distance-and nonspatial data-for example, population density, land-use patterns, annual precipitation levels, and demographic characteristics.
You could work in variety of areas including publishing, government, surveying and conservation. The government is one of the main employers of cartographers, in departments including Ordnance Survey, the Ministry of Defence, tourism departments and the Department of Transport.You could work for local authority planning departments, oil and utility companies, universities, commercial map publishers and the Geological Survey. Cartographers can join NGOs and other developmental agencies engaged in population studies, rural development and various environmental issues. Cartographers can also join the Survey of India or state Survey Departments or Private organizations such as Eicher maps, Google maps etc.
Whether you’re weighing it up as an undergraduate or a post -graduate degree, Geography is a subject that is way more than just filler for your CV. It is about picking up a whole range of transferable skills. It is just the right subject for you.