LeT comdr among 2 militants killed in Sopore encounter

Security forces during encounter at Warpora area of Sopore on Friday. -Excelsior/Aabid Nabi
Security forces during encounter at Warpora area of Sopore on Friday. -Excelsior/Aabid Nabi

Teacher shot dead in Tral

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, July 23: A Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) commander was among two militants killed in an encounter that broke out between militants and security forces at Warpora village of Sopore in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district today.
Acting on a specific lead about the presence of militants in village Warpora, joint teams of police, Army’s 22 RR and CRPF’s 179 and 92 BNs launched a cordon and search operation last night.

Click here to watch video

As the security forces approached towards the suspected spot, the hiding militants fired upon them, who retaliated, triggering an encounter. In the ensuing gunfight, two militants were killed.
Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kashmir range, Vijay Kumar told Excelsior that one AK-47 rifle recovered from the slain militants is the same as that of one snatched from a Territorial Army soldier during a militant attack on November 26, 2020. The IGP congratulated the security forces for the successful operation and termed it as a big success.
“During the search operation as the presence of militants got ascertained they were given repeated opportunities to surrender. However, instead of surrendering they fired indiscriminately upon the joint search party which retaliated leading to an encounter,” the spokesman said. “In the ensuing encounter, two categorized militants of LeT outfit were killed and their bodies were retrieved from the site of encounter”, a police spokesman said here.
The spokesman said that the two slain militants were identified as Fayaz Ahmad War alias Rukana alias Umar son of Gh Mohi-Ud-Din War, a resident of Warpora, who is a top commander of the LeT and Shaheen Ahmad Mir alias Shaheen Molvi son of Mohd Kamal Mir, resident of Cherpora Budgam.
“As per police records, both the killed militants were part of groups involved in various cases and several cases were registered against them,” the spokesman said. Pertinently, killed militant Fayaz Ahmad War had a long history of militancy cases, as he was associated with militancy since 2008.
“Although he had surrendered earlier with arms and ammunition yet after his release he again worked as militant associate for HM outfit and was detained under PSA. However, after his release, in March-2020, he again joined militant ranks of LeT,” the police spokesman said.
“Besides, being part of groups involved in several criminal cases, he was instrumental in planning and executing attacks on security establishments and civilian killings and figured among the list of most wanted militants in North Kashmir. He was the last active militant who perpetrated a series of various crimes and violence in North Kashmir”, the spokesman added.
“Incriminating materials, arms and ammunition including two AK-47 rifles and four magazines were recovered from the site of encounter. All the recovered materials have been taken into case records for further investigation,” he said.
In the meantime, police today said that it has arrested an absconder who was evading arrest for last 25 years in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
Police said that under the supervision of DySP Baramulla, Syed Sajad Hussain and assisted by Inspector Syed Showkat Ahmad, SHO Police Station Baramulla arrested an absconder Bashir Ahmad Lone son of Mohammad Maqbool Lone resident of Khadniyar. He was evading arrest in case (FIR No. 34 of 1997 u/s 7/25 I A Act) of Police Station Baramulla.
Police said that the absconder was immediately produced before Court where from he was shifted to jail.
The case was registered against two accused including Lone on the recovery of four Chinese hand grenades at Bus Stand Baramulla and the case was challaned against accused before Court on 06/03/1997.
During the trial, the accused was declared as an absconder by the Court.
Meanwhile, militants shot dead a teacher in Tral area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district this evening.
A police official said that militants barged inside the house of Javaid Ahmed Malik son of Ghulam Mohammad Malik at Lurgam Tral at around 2135 hours and fired upon him.
The 35-year-old teacher working in Government High School Khalil in Tral was shifted to Sub District Hospital Tral where doctors declared him dead.
Police have registered a case and investigation taken up.