Hizb div comdr, associate killed in Srinagar

Security personnel evacuate an old woman from the encounter site at Nawakadal in Srinagar on Tuesday. -Excelsior/Shakeel
Security personnel evacuate an old woman from the encounter site at Nawakadal in Srinagar on Tuesday. -Excelsior/Shakeel

240 militants active: DGP

Excelsior Correspondent
SRINAGAR, May 19: A divisional commander of Hizbul Mujahideen Junaid Sehrai and his associate were killed in a gun battle in Srinagar city today forcing authorities to suspend mobile and mobile internet services in Srinagar.
Inspector General of Police Kashmir, Vijay Kumar, told Excelsior that security forces including Police and CRPF launched an operation in Nawakadal area of Srinagar after credible inputs about presence of two militants of Hizbul Mujahideen hiding in the area.
He said that during the operation the hiding militants opened fire on the security forces leading to a brief gun battle. However, there was lull for several hours before the gun battle resumed at around 7:30 a.m.
He said that both the militants were killed in the encounter. He identified them as Junaid Ahmed Sehrai, divisional commander Hizbul Mujahideen son of Mohammed Mohammed Ashraf Khan alias Sehrai, resident of Kupwara and now Srinagar and Tariq Ahmed Sheikh, resident of Pulwama also from Hizbul Mujahideen.

Click here to Watch Video

As soon as the operation was launched, the mobile and mobile internet services were suspended by the authorities. However, BSNL mobile calling service was not barred.
The bodies of the militants were not handed over to their families for last rites. However, funeral prayers in absentia of Junaid Sehrai were held in the lawn of his house in Barzulla area. It was led by his father Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai.
Director General of Police Dilbag Singh told a press conference here this afternoon that the operation that started last night at Nawa Kadal area ended today afternoon with the killing of Junaid Sehrai and his associate.
He said that these militants were tasked to lure youth into militancy and throw grenades. “Tariq was active in Pulwama and Shopian districts”, he added.
The DGP while describing the operation as successful said only one residential house caught fire which was controlled immediately. “The first thing we did in the morning was to evacuate the inmates. In that process, two forces personnel-one from CRPF and another from SOG were injured. In the final assault on the militants, the remaining militant hurled a grenade in which two CRPF men sustained injured but all the injured are stable,” he said.
Regarding the number of militants active in Srinagar, the DGP said it number of 14 in Central Kashmir and it keeps on floating. “We have less number of militants active in Srinagar this year than last year. Not more than 240 militants are active in Kashmir,” he added.The DGP said that 73 militants were killed this year so far and 95 militants and their associates were arrested.
Dilbag visited 92 Base Hospital BB Cantt. Srinagar and enquired about the health of the CRPF and police personnel who were injured in the encounter.
He met the doctors treating the injured and impressed for all possible treatment for their early recovery. He assured the injured personnel that all possible help and assistance will be provided to them.
IGP Vijay Kumar said neither a single civilian was injured in the operation nor any collateral damage was caused. He said that Police and CRPF personnel received bullet and grenade injuries. “We have maintained maximum restrain during encounter. However a few houses damaged as militants kept changing locations”, he added.
Kumar complemented the police and CRPF officers and jawans for this successful operation in the city. He said that it is a big success for the two forces that are working in optimum synergy especially in Srinagar city. “Both the forces would continue to keep up their outstanding work in future”, he said.
“According to the Police records, Junaid had a history of terror crime records since 2018 and was involved in planning and executing several terror attacks. Several terror crime cases were registered against him including FIR No. 55/2019 of P/S Sadder which pertains to firing upon one SPO at Khanmohalla Bagat and injuring him, 20/2019 of P/S Tral which pertains to firing upon a civilian of Khangund Midoora Tral and injuring him & 46/2019 of P/S Awantipora which pertains to firing upon an individual of Amlar Nowpora Awantipora and injuring him”, Police said.
“Incriminating material including arms and ammunition were recovered from the site of encounter. All these materials have been taken into case records for further investigation and to probe their complicity in other terror crimes”, Police added.
Sehrai hailed from Hyderpora area of Srinagar. His father originally hails from Kuwpara district and is living in Hyderpora area of Srinagar and is chairman of Tehreeqe Huriyat.
Meanwhile, four persons were injured after a house that was damaged in the encounter today at Jawa Kadal collapsed. They were removed to nearby SMHS hospital for treatment.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here