Curbs in Srinagar, Friday passes off peacefully

Restrictions imposed in Srinagar city on Friday.-Excelsior/Shakeel
Restrictions imposed in Srinagar city on Friday.-Excelsior/Shakeel

Hizb militant’s body found

Fayaz Bukhari
Srinagar, Sept 27: Authorities today imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar as a preventive measure in view of Friday congregational prayers which passed off peacefully barring few incidents of stone pelting while body of a Hizbul Mujhideen militant was recovered from South Kashmir.
Entry into Srinagar was curtailed, as police and para-military men blocked few roads with concertina wire and iron barriers. The vehicles were allowed at the majority of the barricades but in some old city areas including Jamia Masjid area no vehicles were allowed at these barricades.
The Friday congregational prayers were offered in mosques located in the interiors of the city and elsewhere in the Valley. No prayers were allowed in major mosques and shrines of the Valley for the sixth consecutive Friday. However, prayers were allowed in Hazratbal and Syed Sahib Sonwar.
The security barricades were strengthened around the Jamia Masjid Srinagar where prayers were not allowed. The prayers have not been allowed in the Jamia Masjid for over two months now.
The prayers passed off peacefully with no major untoward incident reported from any part of the Valley. However, security forces were heavily deployed around the mosques where the Friday prayers were allowed but the number of people who prayed in these mosques was very less.
There were stone pelting clashes in parts of Srinagar after Friday prayers in which around one dozen persons were injured. These incidents took place in Anchar area of Soura, Rainawari, Natipora and Chhanpora in Srinagar city.
And the normal life remained disrupted across the Kashmir valley for the 54th consecutive day, with markets closed and public transport off the roads. The attendance in Government offices remained thin.
The schools remained closed across the Valley but the students failed to turn up as parents are unwilling to send their wards.
The mobile telephone services and Internet including broadband services continue to remain suspended since August 5.
In the meantime, body of a Hizbul Muahideen militant Sajjad Ahmad Malik of Arwani area of Kulgam was found from Veshu Nallah in Kulgam district. The body was later handed over to his family in Arwani. The circumstances in which the militant died is not known.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here