NEW DELHI, May 28:
The Indian Army rushed in additional troops and weaponry to eastern Ladakh as part of its strategy to fend off China’s aggressive military behaviour with “firmness”, even as top Army Commanders deliberated on the delicate situation in the region for the second consecutive day today, official sources said.
They said military reinforcements, including troops, vehicles and equipment, were sent to shore up Indian presence in Pangong Tso, Galwan Valley, Demchok and Daulat Beg Oldie.
The Army Commanders extensively deliberated on the situation in eastern Ladakh on the opening day of a three-day conference on Wednesday as well.
The conference, which is being chaired by Army Chief Gen MM Naravane, also reviewed anti-terror operations in Jammu and Kashmir as well as in certain areas in the North Eastern region, the sources said.
The Indian Army will continue to maintain its aggressive posturing in all disputed areas in eastern Ladakh and will not back off till status quo is maintained, they said.
The sources said the Indian Army has significantly bolstered its strength in eastern Ladakh and even brought in artillery guns.
The commanders’ conference was originally scheduled to be held from April 13-18, but it was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. The biannual army commanders conference is held in April and October every year.
The second phase of the conference will take place in the last week of June.
In the meantime, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said India was engaged with China at military and diplomatic levels to resolve the border standoff in eastern Ladakh, but at the same time asserted that the country is “firm” in its resolve to protect its sovereignty and national security.
He said India is committed to the objective of maintenance of peace and tranquillity along the Line of Actual Control and that Indian troops take a very responsible approach towards border management.
NEW DELHI, May 28: