2 LeT militants killed in Sopore

An Army jawan takes position during encounter at Dangerpora, Sopore on Thursday. -Excelsior/Aabid Nabi
An Army jawan takes position during encounter at Dangerpora, Sopore on Thursday. -Excelsior/Aabid Nabi

Militants flee from cordon in Shopian

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, May 30: Two militants of Lashkar-e-Toiba outfit were killed in an encounter at Dangerpora area of Sopore in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district today.
The encounter broke out after Army’s 22 RR and SOG cordoned off Dangerpora village in Sopore area of North Kashmir following specific information about the presence of militants inside a residential house.
As the security forces conducted searches of the village, the militants hiding in the house fired at them leading to a gun battle in which two militants were killed.

Click here to watch video

They have been identified as Nasser Ahmed Mir son of Mohammad Yousuf Mir resident of Brath and Asif Ahmed War son of Ghulam Mohammad War resident of Warpora Sopore.
Two AK 47 rifles and 6 magazines were recovered from their possession.
Naseer Ahmed Mir was active since November 17, 2017 while Asif was missing from his home since February 2, 2019.
Police said incriminating material including arms and ammunition was recovered from the site of encounter.
Meanwhile, authorities today suspended internet services in Sopore town as a precautionary measure.
“Citizens are requested not to venture inside the encounter zone since such an area can prove dangerous due to stray explosive materials. People are requested to cooperate with police till the area is completely sanitized and cleared of all the explosive materials, if any,” a police spokesman said.
And security forces today called off the operation that was launched by Army’s 44 RR, SOG and CRPF at Gugloora area of Pinjura in district Shopian yesterday.
Two militants were trapped in the village but they managed to escape during the night. Security forces conducted searches of the rubble of a shed in which they were hiding but no body was recovered from there.
The militants managed to escape after intense stone pelting by the locals. The security forces retaliated leading to the killing of one protester Sajad Ahmad Parray son of Ali Mohammad Parray of Buderhama and injury to 25 others.
A soldier identified as Sepoy Mahesh (Belt number 16121670N) of 44 RR of Army was also injured in encounter and he was rushed to 92 Base Hospital in Srinagar’s Badami Bagh Cantonment.
The operation was called off at around 2 a.m after no militant bodies were found in the rubble of the shed in which they were hiding.