CAIRO, Feb 7: At least 151 militants were killed in army raids during the past three days in different parts in Egypt’s North Sinai region, official sources said.
Forty-seven of the 151 militants were identified as dangerous ‘Takfiri’ leaders. Twenty-two of them are Egyptian while 25 others were of different nationalities, sources said.
The raids came days after President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi ordered the formation of a military leadership for Sinai and the areas east of the Suez Canal.
Egypt’s Sinai peninsula has witnessed many violent attacks by militants since the January 2011 revolution that toppled ex-dictator Hosni Mubarak.
The attacks targeting police and military increased after the ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.
Over 500 security personnel have been reported killed since then.
Last month, at least 32 people were killed and dozens others were injured in simultaneous attacks that hit Al-Arish City in North Sinai.
The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished terrorist bases and tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip. (AGENCIES)