TEHRAN/WASHINGTON, Feb 20: As the US accelerates its military buildup, satellite imagery has revealed Iran has moved in parallel to demonstrate complete operational preparedness in the wake of a potential conflict, fortifying its nuclear infrastructure, restoring damaged missile facilities, strengthening its military apparatus, and tightening its internal security posture.
Indirect negotiations between Washington and Tehran resumed in Geneva on Tuesday, which Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described as being constructive. US Vice President JD Vance said Iran had not acknowledged the “red lines” set by US President Donald Trump, underscoring persistent gaps and widespread differences between the two sides, making reaching a settlement difficult.
US officials have also briefed the White House that US forces could be in a position to conduct military operations within days, following the rapid deployment of additional naval and air assets to the region, reports CNN.
In anticipation of possible hostilities, Iran has spent recent months repairing its key military infrastructure damaged during last year’s brief war with Israel, where it suffered massive losses in its military and nuclear programme.
Satellite imagery analysis now indicates that Iran has rebuilt significant portions of its missile infrastructure. At the Imam Ali Missile Base in Khorramabad, imagery captured on January 5 shows that of roughly a dozen structures reportedly destroyed in Israeli strikes, three have been rebuilt, one repaired and three others remain under construction. The base includes silo launch systems and earthworks associated with ballistic missile deployment.
Additional repairs are also visible at other military facilities, with the Tabriz Air Base, which is linked to medium-range ballistic missile operations, runways and taxiways, now appearing fully restored.
Nearby missile installations show reopened tunnel entrances and reconstructed support areas. At the Hamadan Airbase, bomb craters on the runway have been filled and aircraft shelters repaired.
Iran has also reportedly restored operations at its solid-propellant missile production facility in Shahrud.
Solid fuel technology allows for faster launch readiness and longer-range capabilities. Analysts suggest that reconstruction there may have progressed quickly, potentially enhancing output compared with pre-conflict levels.
At the same time, Iran has intensified efforts to shield its nuclear programme. High-resolution satellite imagery analysed by the Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS) indicates new fortification measures at underground facilities.
Images from February 10 show fresh concrete reinforcement at tunnel entrances carved into Pickaxe Mountain near Natanz, increasing protection around a sensitive underground complex. Construction vehicles and materials remain visible at the site, suggesting ongoing work to harden it against possible airstrikes.
At the Taleghan 2 facility within the Parchin complex southeast of Tehran, satellite photographs indicate the completion of a concrete covering structure – described by analysts as a “sarcophagus” – now being concealed under layers of soil.
“The facility may soon become a fully unrecognisable bunker, providing significant protection from aerial strikes,” ISIS president David Albright warned in a post on X.
At the 7th of Tir Industrial Complex near Isfahan in central Iran – sanctioned last year in October by the UN — which is linked to producing centrifuge parts for uranium enrichment, damaged structures have reportedly been rebuilt.
“I think Iran is reconstituting its nuclear and missile programs, probably faster than Israel claimed it could during (Operation) Rising Lion,” Jeffrey Lewis, Distinguished Scholar of Global Security at Middlebury College, told CNN referring to the Israeli strikes in June.
“The reconstruction of the buildings, as well as some other information, suggests that Iran was either able to replace that equipment or move it to safe places underground before the strikes,” he added. (UNI)
