Saini declares Hansi as Haryana’s 23rd district, says notification to be issued soon

CHANDIGARH, Dec 16 : Haryana Chief Minister Nayab Singh Saini on Tuesday declared Hansi as the state’s 23rd district. It was earlier a part of the Hisar district.

Addressing a public meeting in Hansi, the chief minister said a notification announcing it as a separate district will be issued within a week.

The creation of the 22nd district, Charkhi Dadri, was notified by the Haryana government nine years ago, on December 1, 2016.

“I make this announcement that Hansi will be the 23rd district of Haryana,” Saini said while addressing the Vikas Rally there.

On the occasion, Saini inaugurated and laid foundation stones for three development projects worth Rs 77.30 crore.

The chief minister recalled Hansi’s rich historical and cultural legacy and said it had been a land of valour and sacrifice.

He paid homage to the sacrifices of its people during the First War of Independence in 1857, and said the historic Lal Sadak still bears testimony to the brutal atrocities of the erstwhile British Empire, where freedom fighters were mercilessly crushed.

Hansi’s prominence predates even the freedom struggle, he noted, adding that the town was earlier known as Asi and Asigarh, and during the reign of Emperor Harsha it served as the capital of the Satluj province.

The chief minister promised to leave no stone unturned for the progress of Hansi.

Projects worth Rs 1,008 crore have been executed in the Hansi Assembly constituency over the last 11 years, whereas only Rs 253 crore worth of works were undertaken during the Congress regime, he said.

Out of the 217 promises made in the BJP’s election manifesto for the 2024 assembly polls, the double-engine government has fulfilled 54 promises within a year, while work on remaining promises is currently underway, he said.

Though one year may appear brief, Saini said, the state has witnessed development happening three times than the earlier pace, reflecting the government’s commitment to non-stop progress, he said.

The chief minister added that the government has taken decisive steps to ensure inclusive growth and safeguard the interests of all sections of the society.

Saini said Haryana is progressing steadily under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi with clarity in policy, intent and leadership. However, the opposition is unsettled by this progress and is resorting to false propaganda for political gain, he said.

Rejecting Congress allegations of “vote theft”, Saini termed it a conspiracy to mislead public, and alleged that the grand old party has a long history of electoral malpractices, corruption and suppression of democratic rights, including the imposition of Emergency.

Targeting Congress over its criticism of the Special Intensive Revision of electoral rolls, Saini said such exercises had been conducted several times since Independence, including in 1952, 1957, 1961, 1965-?66, 1983-84, 1987-89, 1992-93 and 2002-03, often when the current opposition parties were in power.

Democracy was never under threat during those periods, he said, questioning why objections are being raised in 2025 when the Election Commission is performing its constitutional duty.

Giving a fresh momentum to the all-round development of the Hansi region, Saini announced a series of major initiatives related to infrastructure, healthcare, basic amenities, roads and irrigation.

He announced that the existing 50-bed hospital in Hansi will be upgraded to a 100-bed facility. In addition, a special grant of Rs 5 crore was announced for the development of Hansi.

The chief minister said that a permanent drainage system will be constructed at the Hansi bus stand to ensure proper disposal of rainwater. (PTI)