Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, Feb 16: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha today ordered the reopening of 14 tourist spots in Jammu and Kashmir including Asia’s largest tulip garden in Srinagar which were closed after the Pahalgam terror attack last April.
Follow the Daily Excelsior channel on WhatsApp
The re-opening of the tourist spots comes after the recent visit of the Home Minister Amit Shah to J&K who chaired a security review meeting during the visit. He had called for a country wide push to promote tourism in J&K.
Click here to watch video
Government had shut down around 50 tourist spots in J&K on April 22 last year. “After a thorough security review and discussions, I have ordered the reopening of more tourist spots in the Kashmir and Jammu divisions, which were temporarily closed as a precautionary measure,” the LG’s office said on X.
“Eleven tourist spots in the Kashmir Division – Yousmarg, Doodhpathri, Dandipora Park in Kokernag, Peer Ki Gali, Dubjan and Padpawan in Shopian, Astanpora, Thajwas Glacier, Hung Park in Ganderbal, Wullar and Watlab in Baramulla, and the tulip garden in Srinagar – are to be reopened immediately,” Sinha said.
“Three tourist spots in the Jammu Division – Devi Pindi in Reasi, Mahu Mangat in Ramban and Mughal Maidan in Kishtwar – are also to be reopened with immediate effect,” he added.
“Three sites in the Kashmir Division – Gurez, Athwatoo and Bangus – and one site in the Jammu Division – Ramkund in Ramban – will be reopened once the snow is cleared,” Sinha added.
With this, a total of 42 sites have been reopened for tourist activity across the J&K.
On September 26 last year, the LG ordered the reopening of 12 tourist spots. Before that, on June 17, the administration announced the reopening of 16 tourist destinations, eight each in the Kashmir and Jammu divisions.
Asia’s largest tulip garden, the Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden in Srinagar, blooms each spring against the backdrop of the Zabarwan hills.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had raised concerns in the Assembly over the closure of tourist spots in J&K, especially at a time when the UT is promoting tourism.
The Pahalgam attack prompted an exodus of tourists from the Valley. However, after an improvement in the security situation, reopening of some sites, inauguration of the Vande Bharat train from Katra to Srinagar and successful completion of the Amarnath Yatra, a section of tourists has slowly started returning to the Valley.
The Travel Agents Federation of India (TAFI) expresses its sincere gratitude to the LG and Minister Omar Abdullah and administration for the decision ahead of the Tourist Season 2026.
“This proactive decision sends a strong and positive message across the country, particularly to travellers planning to visit Kashmir in 2026. Such timely initiatives significantly boost confidence within the travel trade and among tourists,” Shamim Ahmed Shah, National Managing Committee Member of TAFI told Excelsior.
He said that tourism plays a vital role in the economy of J&K, creating a powerful ripple effect that benefits every section of society – from large stakeholders to small vendors and daily wage earners – thereby strengthening the socio-economic fabric of the region.
“We look forward to aggressive and well-planned marketing campaigns for J&K to ensure a strong revival of tourism on the successful pattern witnessed during 2022, 2023, and 2024. We are confident that both the Union Territory administration and the Central Government will once again extend their full support,” Shah said.
“We also humbly request Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah to continue supporting initiatives aimed at strengthening and revitalizing tourism in J&K,” he added.
