33 females in merit list
PSC declares 189 candidates successful

Excelsior Correspondent

JAMMU, Sept 2: The Public Service Commission (PSC) today declared 189 candidates selected for Combined Competitive Examination-2010. A female medico from Kishtwar Syed Sehrish Asgar has topped the examination.

The PSC has, however, declared the results of all 578 candidates, who had appeared in Combined Competitive Examination interviews held at Srinagar from July 4 to August 23.

A PSC handout said a total of 30,464 candidates had applied for 189 posts of Combined Competitive Examination. However, 22,856 candidates appeared for the Preliminary Examination and 7621 of them qualified for the Mains. In Mains, 4463 candidates appeared in all papers and, as per Rules, 582 of them were declared qualified for the interview.

Four candidates didn’t appear for the interview leaving 578 candidates in fray for 189 posts.

Twenty toppers included Syed Sehrish Asgar, Shafiq Ahmed Wani, Iqbal Hussain Mir, Bashir Ahmad Bhat, Rameez Rashid Bhat, Wakeel Ahmed Batt, Irfan Ali Khan, Raies Ahmed Mir, Abid Rashid Mir, Arshad Hussain Ganai, Nazir Ahmed Bhat, Choudhary Mohammad Nawaz, Jaliel Ahmad Mir, Sheikh Enayatullah, Suhayb Ahmad Wani, Samrinder Singh, Deep Novel Kour, Mohammad Saleem Bhat, Mohammad Imran Miak and Diksha Bamba.

The PSC said 33 female candidates figured in the list of 189 selected candidates. Thirty candidates belonging to reserved categories have found place in the merit list in the Open Merit category.

The handout said the PSC has completed the entire exercise in record time. It added that the Commission is also conducting Combined Competitive (Preliminary) Examination 2011 on September 25 for which applications had been invited in May this year.

This will be the third consecutive Combined Competitive Examination, being conducted by the PSC since 2009.

During last two years, more than 50 Screening Tests (including Preliminary Examination) have been conducted by the Commission for various posts in which over 1.5 lakh candidates have appeared.

Apart from Combined Competitive Examinations, the Commission has also conducted the Competitive Examinations for the post of Munsiffs (KCS Judicial), Assistant Conservator of Forests, Assistant Director (Statistics), Range Officers Grade-I (Forests), Range Officers Grade-I (Soil Conservation) and Range Officers Grade-I (Wild Life). The examination for the post of ACF has been conducted after 30 years by the Commission. Thirteen departmental examinations were conducted twice in a year, which made hundreds of candidates eligible for future promotions.

The Commission has also conducted interviews for the posts to be filled by Direct Recruitment. During last two years, selections for over 4,000 posts have been communicated to the Government, which included clearance of the vacancies referred to the Commission in 2005 onwards.

Engg, M Tech, B Tech, other fake degrees haul
*Racketeer arrested, another absconds

Excelsior Correspondent

JAMMU, Sept 2: Police today recovered a large number of fake degrees of engineering, M Tech, B Tech of a Maharashtra University and diplomas and marks sheets of other classes from Middle to higher secondary part-II from a private school at Purkhoo under the jurisdiction of Kanachak police station and arrested one of the racketeers. Another accused was absconding.

The school was reported to have already issued a number of fake degrees to students of various classes and categories.

Police said Vishal Kumar son of Jagdish Lal R/o Muthi, who was running a school with the name and style of Vishal Public School at Purkhoo, has been arrested. They added that the school was recognized only up to the level of primary and that too up to 2000.

‘‘The negligence of the Education Department can be well gauged from the fact that over 400 Middle Pass certificates had so far been issued by Vishal Kumar despite the fact that the school had no recognition of middle level'', police said and didn't rule out the involvement of Education Department officials in the scam.

They said the senior authorities of the Education Department when communicated about the scam couldn't give any satisfactory reply. The authorities now would be called for questioning to explain their conduct in facilitating running of a private school without any recognition.

While Vishal Kumar has been arrested, his associate in the scam, Deepak Raina R/o Muthi was absconding. A hunt was on to nab him.

Police said so far they have recovered a large number of fake degrees of Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education including Engineering, M Tech and B Tech. These degrees were being sold to candidates at exorbitant prices by Vishal Kumar. He had already sold many degrees to the candidates. Some degrees lying in his school premises were recovered during police raids.

A number of diplomas and marks sheets of higher secondary part-II, secondary class and middle standard, all fake, issued by ‘National Institute of Open School', were also seized from the possession of Vishal Kumar. Some fake diplomas and marks lists of secondary and higher secondary part-II classes of State Board of School Education have also been recovered, police said.

Police said their investigations have revealed that Vishal Public School had recognition only up to primary level till 2000. However, he continued to run classes up to Middle level maintaining proper registers. In the absence of any supervision by the Education Department, Vishal Kumar managed to issue 800 fake middle certificates to the students, they added.

Police said the issue is being taken up with Maharashtra Government on issuance of fake Engineering, B Tech and M Tech degrees by Vishal Kumar on the name of Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education.

For further investigations, police have registered a case in this connection at Kanachak police station under Sections 420, 467, 468 and 471 RPC.

The network of fake degrees was busted by a Kanachak police station team headed by SHO Jaipal Sharma under the supervision of SDPO Domana Diwakar Singh.

80% local manpower, 15 Enggs from Jammu engaged
Work on country’s longest road tunnel begins at Chenani

By Mohinder Verma

JAMMU, Sept 2: In a major step aimed at providing safest road link in the landslides prone areas of the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway 1A, the work on first section of the country’s longest road tunnel between Chenani and Nashri was started today.

The ambitious project is being executed by Leighton Welspun Contractors Pvt Ltd, which commenced the work by carrying out first blast in the lower Shivalik hills at Lower Mada village in Chenani tehsil, in the presence of Russell Waugh, Managing Director of the company.

The Chenani-Nashri Tunnel Project involves construction of approximately 9 kilometers of two lane main tunnel of 13.3 meter diameter along with a parallel escape tunnel of five meter diameter.

"New Austrian Technology Method of sequential excavation and support will be used for the construction of the tunnel and the ambitious project will be completed within next five years—by December 2015", Mr Russell told reporters soon after the first blast at the South Portal of the tunnel at village Mada this afternoon.

"From now onwards, our teams will continue to cut through the mountain on the journey to develop this all-weather road connecting Chenani to Nashri and with the construction of this tunnel, the distance between these two stations will get reduced from 35 kilometers to 10 kilometers and traveling time by an hour", he said.

Mr Russell further said, "this is not only a landmark project in the history of India’s transportation network but will bring increased safety and employment to the local community", adding "our focus is to complete the project on schedule and to be an integral part of Jammu’s progress and development".

It is pertinent to mention here that there are numerous landslide prone areas on the Chenani-Nashri stretch of the National Highway 1A which become cause of highway blockade during the rainy season and inconvenience to the passengers.

Unlike other projects, where the local people don’t get adequate job opportunities, around 80 per cent unskilled and semi-skilled manpower engaged for the construction of tunnel is the locals of Chenani and Nashri areas.

Disclosing that Leighton Welspun is committed to training and developing people as a key part of its business and is running its own training school in this direction, the Managing Director of the company said, "we have got 50 unskilled local persons trained for five months at our school and now they are trained enough to handle those works which require skilled hands", adding "the aim behind providing training is to ensure that even after completion of the project, the trained manpower is able to work in other projects".

"We are also running a graduate employment programme and has engaged 15 Engineering Graduates by carrying out campus placement in Jammu", he said in response to a question.

Stating that Chenani-Nashri project is a technically complex one, he said, "we will use the most advanced drilling and tunnel forming equipment and unique combination of local knowledge and international experience will be key to the success", adding "all civil, structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical, power distribution, ventilation, lighting, SCADA, fire control system, video surveillance, traffic control, emergency call and communication works are entirely our responsibility".

Project Director, Edgar Ramani and Anoop Pillai, Admn Manager were among several senior officers of the Leighton Welspun Ltd present on the occasion.

Militant killed, 2 jawans injured

Excelsior Correspondent

SRINAGAR, Sept 2: As Pakistani troops are desperate to push in militants waiting on launching pads along the Line of Control (LoC) in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK), they again violated ceasefire today taking number of violation to six in past three days in Keran and Macchil sectors of Kupwara district in North Kashmir.

Srinagar based Defence spokesman, Lt Col Brar, said the latest violation took place this morning in Keran sector.

Col Brar said there were no casualties in the firing incidents and troops exercised restraint and did not retaliate to Pakistani firing on Indian posts.

He said Pakistani troops opened unprovoked firing on Army position along the LoC in these two sectors, which have emerged as favoured routes for infiltration of militants into Kashmir.

With the latest incidents of firing, the number of ceasefire violations by Pakistani troops in Keran and Macchil sectors has gone up to six in the past three days.

"Four ceasefire violations have been reported from Keran and Macchil sectors along the LoC in the frontier district of Kupwara since Thursday afternoon," he added.

In the first major violation of ceasefire this year, a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) and three Pakistani soldiers were killed when troops from the two sides exchanged heavy gunfire on August 30 in Keran sector.

Army sources said that the militants are desperate to infiltrate before the first snow fall on the mountain peaks. They made several attempts in last two months but alert troops foiled their attempts to infiltrate. The tight vigil along the LoC managed to stop militants from infiltrating into Kashmir this year to a large extent", they added.

For past two months, the militants made several attempts in Keran, Karnah and Macchil sectors of Kupwara but these bids were foiled by the troops.

"Now these groups are desperate as they have been waiting in launching pads for past two months, so Pakistan Army has of late starting giving direct cover to them by firing at Indian posts", the sources added.

Along the LoC in Kupwara district militants made around one dozen attempts to infiltrate in past two months, but Army foiled these attempts in which a JCO and four Army troops were killed and six jawans injured.

"There are around 700 militants waiting to cross the LoC but tight vigil along LoC has frustrated them", Army sources said.

Meanwhile, a militant was killed and two Army soldiers were injured in an encounter in Kupwara district of North Kashmir today.

Lt Col Brar said that Army launched an operation in Wuder Bala in Handwara area of district Kupwara after receiving information about the presence of militants in the area. Militants opened fire on troops resulting in gun battle in the wee hours today.

"An unidentified militant was killed and two soldiers sustained minor injuries during the operation, which was still in progress," he added.

A police spokesman while giving details said that an un-identified militant was killed today in an encounter at Handwara.

Police said that acting on a specific information about the presence of armed militants in Forest area of Wudar-Watsar in Handwara, Police, 21 RR Unit of the Army and 92 Battalion of CRPF, laid a siege of the area this morning .

The advance party was fired upon by the hiding militants, which was retaliated triggering an encounter. One unidentified militant was killed in the encounter.

One -AK 47 rifle, 1 AK magazine, 9 rounds of AK ammunition and a Pithu bag were recovered from the slain militant.

The search operation in the area was still going on, the spokesman added.


| home | state | national | business| editorial | advertisement | sports | photogallery |
|
international | weather | mailbag | suggestions | search | subscribe |