Excelsior Correspondent
SRINAGAR, May 24: A 12-year-old girl from Galwanpora in Budgam district, who went missing late Friday night, was found dead near her residence this morning, with police suspecting rape and murder and constituted an Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate the case.
Speaking to reporters, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Budgam Hariprasad K K said Police Station Budgam received information regarding the disappearance of the minor girl at around 10 pm on May 23.
i
Acting promptly on the complaint, police registered a case under relevant provisions pertaining to the kidnapping of a minor child and launched extensive searches throughout the night.
“This morning at around 7:15 am, the girl’s body was recovered from a spot nearly 200 metres away from her home,” SSP Budgam said, adding that all medico-legal formalities were subsequently completed after the recovery of the body.
“At this stage, prima facie, it appears to be a case of rape and murder, and all relevant sections of law have been added,” he said.
The SSP said the investigation was presently at a preliminary stage and police teams were carrying out extensive searches in and around the area where the body was found.
He said tracker dogs had been deployed within nearly a one-kilometre radius of the recovery spot, while CCTV footage from nearby areas was also being examined as part of the investigation.
“Local suspects are being questioned and evidence seizure and verification processes are going on continuously and simultaneously,” he added.
Calling the incident the “top priority” of Budgam Police, the SSP said all available manpower and investigative expertise had been dedicated to solving the case at the earliest.
Police said FIR No. 139/2026 under Sections 137(1) and 103 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) has been registered at Police Station Budgam and investigation is underway.
To ensure a thorough probe into the incident, Budgam Police constituted a Special Investigation Team under the supervision of DySP Headquarters Budgam, Sajad Ahmad.
According to the police spokesperson, the SIT is examining all possible angles to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident and the investigation is being carried out in a fair, transparent and professional manner.
Police also appealed to people and media organisations not to circulate misinformation, rumours or unverified content regarding the incident.
The spokesperson said authorities had taken serious note of the circulation of photographs and other identifying particulars of the minor victim on social media platforms, stating that disclosure of the identity, photographs or personal details of the victim was prohibited under law.
“Such actions are unlawful and may spread misinformation, create public unrest and disturb communal harmony,” the spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha has strongly condemned the brutal killing of a minor girl in Budgam.
He spoke with the Director General of Police and senior officials and issued strict instructions to ensure a thorough investigation. He assured that those responsible for this heinous crime will not go unpunished.
The Lieutenant Governor also expressed his deepest condolences and solidarity with the bereaved family in this difficult hour.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has also strongly condemned the brutal murder of a young preteen girl in Budgam district, describing the incident as “shocking and deeply distressing.”
Expressing profound grief over the tragedy, he condemned the heinous act in the strongest possible terms and conveyed his heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved family.
“May she find place in Jannat,” Omar said while expressing solidarity with the grieving family.
He said the incident should serve as a moment of serious introspection for society at large. “While the appropriate agencies enquire into the circumstances of her murder, it’s also fitting that we reflect on where we as a society are headed when our young children are not safe,” he said.
“I condemn this brutal attack without reservation or condition and send my sympathies to her family,” he added.
Reaffirming his government’s commitment to justice, the Chief Minister assured that all necessary support would be extended to the investigating agencies to ensure that those found guilty are given exemplary punishment in accordance with the law.
