Breaking News:

Top HM militants trapped in Tral

Excelsior Correspondent
Srinagar, Mar 4: Fierce gun battle is on in South Kashmir’s Tral area after security forces trapped at least three militants of Hizbul Mujahideen in a village while equal number of militants managed to flee from cordon in Shopian area last night after a brief gun battle.
Security forces this evening cordoned off Oppo village in Tral area of Pulwama and launched searches. A local militant commander, Aqib Molvi, his associates Sabzar Ahmad and a foreigner Hammas Bhai are believed to be trapped inside a house.
Security forces blasted off a portion of the house but the intermittent firing was going on. Sources said that Aqib Molvi made a phone call to his family and informed them that he has been trapped in the village.
Massive clashes erupted in Oppo village soon after security forces launched a search and cordon operation following an input about the presence of militants.
Clashes also erupted at Tral Town after news about trapping of militants spread. As the searches were underway, locals came out of their houses and resorted to heavy stone-pelting to disrupt the operation against militants suspected to be present in the village.
However, the operation was on in the village when reports last came and additional contingents of security forces were brought in to tighten the cordon.
Security forces have also imposed curfew in the area to prevent militants from fleeing the area.
The protesters pelted stones on police and CRPF during which they snatched an INSAS rifle from a CRPF officer, Sub Inspector Harjinder Singh, in Main Town of Tral near Jama Masjid.
At least three militants who were trapped by security forces in Chillipora village of Shopian district in South Kashmir since last night escaped after a brief gun battle.
Security forces launched search operation after receiving input about the presence of three militants of Hizbul Mujahideeen including Saddam and Irfan in Chillipora. As the searches were started, the militants fired upon the security forces, leading to a gun battle. The exchange of fire continued till late last night but under the cover of darkness, the militants escaped from the village.
The locals had come out of their houses and pelted stones on security forces. The operation that was put on hold late night was resumed this morning but there was no fresh firing after which the operation was called off.
Due to massive stone-pelting, an armoured vehicle of 14 Battalion of CRPF skidded off the road and overturned, resulting in injuries to 11 CRPF men. Amid heavy stone-pelting on overturned vehicle, security forces opened fire and also used pellets to control the stone-throwers, resulting in injuries to three protesters. One protester identified as Inayat Ahmad was hit by a bullet in his hand and he was referred to Bone and Joints Hospital Srinagar.
The clashes in the area continued throughout the day intermittently and several other youths sustained minor injuries. Police used teargas shells to disperse the protesters. The situation remained tense in Heff and Chillipora throughout the day.


Download Daily Excelsior Apps Now:


Share With
This entry was posted in Todays story. Bookmark the permalink.