NEW DELHI, Jan 21:
After keeping him almost four months in custody, Pakistan today handed over Indian soldier Chandu Babulal Chohan to Indian authorities this afternoon at Wagah-Attari border post.
The soldier had lost his way and crossed over to the other side inadvertently on September 29, the same night the Indian Army carried out surgical strikes across the LoC to decimate terrorists launch pads.
The Indian Army, through its office of Director General of Military Intelligence held several rounds of talks with its Pakistani counterpart to ensure the return of the soldier.
Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre has confirmed last week that Pakistan will soon release the soldier.
Pakistan finally relented and returned the soldier, but not before alleging the Sepoy had willfully “deserted his check post” in Jammu and Kashmir and crossed the Line of Control over due to “severe grievances with his superiors and leadership.”
“Pakistan convinced the soldier to return to India being an Indian national and address his grievances through local grievance mechanisms,” a statement issued by Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
“The decision of the Government of Pakistan to return the Indian soldier is based on humanitarian grounds and the commitment to ensure peace and tranquility at the LoC and the Working Boundary.
Despite Indian belligerence, Pakistan believes in peaceful neighbourhood and rejects all actions aimed at undermining regional peace and security,” it said. (UNI)