SRINAGAR, Aug 12: Four persons including mother and son died after they tumbled into a trench in Utrasoo area of Shangus in South Kashmir’s Anantnag district today.
Station House Officer (SHO) Utrasoo, Peerzada Ateequllah said that one Mohammad Maqbool Khan started repairing and cleaning up the sewage trench in his house premises at Khanpora village of Utrasoo this morning.
He said while repairing the trench, Maqbool suddenly fell down inside it apparently due to inhaling of some poisonous gas. His wife Shamima Begum and son Sabzar Ahmad Khan along with two of his neighbours, siblings, jumped inside the trench to save him. However, all of them fell unconscious.
As the news spread, locals rushed to the spot and rescued them out of the trench and shifted them to the Primary Health Centre (PHC) Utrasoo where four of them were declared as brought dead, the police official said.
The deceased have been identified as Shamima, wife of Mohd Maqbool Khan, their son Sabzar Khan and two brothers Zahid Ahmad Ahanger and Umar Ahmad Ahanger, sons of Ghulam Mohd Ahanger, all residents of Utersoo.
The condition of Maqbool is stated to be critical and has been shifted to District Hospital Anantnag.